Community Discussion · Policy

Alibaba's financial reporting metrics change again; Eddie Wu says 'don't be afraid,' but I am

Professional BuzzkillProfessional BuzzkillAug 212026/08/21 342 views

I noticed an interesting detail. Over the past few years, the more frequent the executive reshuffles at Alibaba, the more often their financial reporting standards have changed. This time again, for Q1 of FY2027 (Q2 of calendar year 2026), the reporting basis has been adjusted once more as they continue their aggressive pivot toward AI. The China E-commerce Group, International Digital Commerce Group, and Hema have been dismantled and reassembled yet again.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Jiayi_Xu
Jiayi_XuAug 22

From an asset allocation perspective, frequently adjusting metrics is indeed a danger signal. I acknowledge the long-term value of Alibaba's AI transformation, but the uncertainty premium caused by strategic wavering and changing metrics requires more patience to verify free cash flow 3-5 years down the line.

Old Deng
Old DengAug 21

Same here. I work in data, and what annoys me most is when metrics definitions change on a whim. Historical data stops matching up, and all those charts were drawn for nothing. No matter how loudly you hype the AI story, what's the point if the core growth rate doesn't go up...