Community Discussion · Policy

From planner to guide: A beginner's tutorial on using AI travel tools

Pao Tiao XianPao Tiao XianAug 202026/08/20 254 views

Last Thursday night, I wanted to book a weekend getaway. I opened a dozen tabs, checking flights, then hotels, then attractions. An hour passed, and I hadn't even decided where to go. If this scenario feels familiar, then AI travel planners are made for lazy people like you.

Tools like Passage AI basically do two things: before departure, they help you arrange an itinerary in minutes; after landing, they transform from a planner into a real-time guide, following your location to tell you where to go next and what's nearby. I used it to plan a two-day trip, and I'll walk you through the entire process step-by-step.

First, preparation. No client installation needed; just open the website in a browser. Registration is via email or phone number. I used email, taking about two minutes. The interface is clean, just a chat box, looking much like ChatGPT, with no other distractions.

Step one is crucial: clearly state your needs.

My first attempt only said, "Help me plan a two-day Shanghai weekend trip." The result was a generic template itinerary that would work for any city. This isn't because the tool is dumb; it lacked clues. The more specific information you provide, the more human-like the resulting plan becomes.

My second attempt looked like this:

Depart from Shanghai to Hangzhou on Friday evening, return Sunday evening. Two people, budget around RMB 3,000 per person. We like walking and eating authentic local restaurants, no museums. No Instagram-worthy check-in spots.

After about half a minute, it produced an itinerary summary, followed by the full schedule. The interface divides time blocks for each day, with explanations under each block: where to go, how to get there, and roughly how long to stay. Compared to general conversational AI outputting a wall of text, this structure is clearly more suitable for actually referencing during travel.

The image shows the generated itinerary interface: left side is the schedule, right side is map markers, each corresponding to an arrangement.

Step two is checking details. The itinerary recommended several restaurants, so I checked reviews on other platforms. Here's a reasonably reliable design feature: it connects to real-time data. Flight prices and weather are fetched daily, so it won't quote last month's prices. Some materials mention that such tools only pull data within your specified sources, minimizing hallucination risks. In practice, the general direction didn't go wrong.

However, here's the first pitfall: modifying the itinerary isn't a one-click action. You either rewrite instructions to regenerate the plan or manually drag elements on the generated plan. The manual editing entry in the app is hidden deep; I searched for ages before finding it under the three dots in the top right corner. To change order, long-press the time block and drag it; don't drag it into a text box. I missed this on my first try and thought I could only regenerate the whole thing.

The third thing to note is that it doesn't book anything for you. One tool mentioned in the materials explicitly states: no flight bookings, no accommodation bookings, and it ignores your existing orders.

Passage AI follows similar logic, focusing entirely on "what to do locally." Booking flights and hotels is still up to you. So don't expect a one-stop service; it's your itinerary brain, not your travel agency.

The third pitfall involves tickets. My original plan included a museum requiring reservations, but it didn't prompt me to buy tickets in advance. Upon arrival, I was told the day's tickets were sold out early. The tool description says real-time data includes opening hours, but my experience suggests info updates for reservation-based venues aren't always timely. After generating the itinerary, I recommend verifying every item marked "Ticket" or "Reservation" on the official website. This step cannot be skipped.

The most interesting part is the post-landing guide mode. Arriving in Hangzhou, I opened my phone, and the home screen switched to a map showing my current location, with the next stop displayed below in order. Tapping it showed what to see at that spot. Walking along Beishan Street for ten minutes, it prompted a small alley nearby offering a side view of Baochu Pagoda—something I'd never have found searching myself. At that moment, it felt less like a tour guide and more like a local friend showing me around.

The fourth pitfall relates to this feature, which I missed initially: this mode doesn't automatically judge if you've "finished exploring." It only prompts you to move to the next stop based on distance and estimated time. If you linger somewhere for forty extra minutes, it won't push back the subsequent schedule. So use it after landing, but don't rely on it completely. If you want to stay longer somewhere, do so; don't let the itinerary rush you.

After this trip, my takeaway is: it solves the most painful "zero-to-one" problem in the planning stage. Previously, arranging a two-day trip took four to five hours; this time, it took less than twenty minutes total. General assistants can also plan trips, but the difference lies in connecting real-time information and geolocation, allowing it to serve as a crutch after landing.

If you want to try it, I suggest starting with a simple two-day trip; don't jump straight into a fourteen-day European grand tour. Verify reservation tickets, and leave the rest to it. Once you're comfortable, try sending your flight info and hotel bookings to it, letting it optimize routes including accommodation. That's where this tool truly saves time.


📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original text: https://mypassage.ai/

Copyright belongs to the original authors. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Pixel Dust

Lol, the first time I also wrote 'Hangzhou weekend trip', and it scheduled seven attractions for me. My legs were about to fall off. Later I added 'don't rush' and it became normal... You really need to know how to prompt this thing properly.