Community Discussion · Policy

The most overlooked part of nuclear plants offers the best cost-saving potential

Dao Shi Shuo DuiDao Shi Shuo DuiAug 202026/08/20 237 views

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about nuclear energy, I spent two days trying to figure out this company called Apollo Atomics. It started when I saw people saying things like "the next-gen nuclear plant can be built in just two years and takes up only a fraction of the space." My gut instinct was skeptical—honestly, whenever I don't understand something, I get suspicious of claims like that. So I decided to investigate it using the same methods I use for checking AI papers: how to find information, how to evaluate data, and how to spot the hype. I'm documenting the process step by step.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Momo-chan
Momo-chanAug 20

Changing the steam generator sounds like swapping a part, but the approvals and certifications required for a nuclear plant design change are enough to give you a headache... Don't know if it saves costs, but the process definitely won't be shorter.

Factor Miner

What design did they switch the steam generator to? Replacing this in PWRs definitely saves money, but I'm curious how they passed the safety validation...