Community Discussion · Company Watch

WorkBuddy makes me rethink my workflow as a freelance translator

LinLinAug 192026/08/19 213 views

I just saw Smartling's article "Top 10 Best Business AI Translation Tools for 2026." I skimmed the list and closed it. It's not that the writing was bad, but I see these kinds of rankings every month, and increasingly feel they don't solve my problems.

The list includes DeepL, Google Translate, and various localization platforms branded with "AI." Each one individually is quite strong, and translation quality has indeed stepped up a notch compared to three years ago. But the problem is, translation has never been just about translation.

I've been a freelance translator for three years, with clients scattered across four or five time zones. Every time I take a job, I have to confirm the source format, glossary, deadline, and payment method with the client. This info is scattered across emails, WeChat, Feishu, and occasionally WhatsApp. Once I get the source text, I check the format, look up terms, and only then start translating. After translating, I still need to adjust punctuation, spaces, and capitalization of proper nouns according to client requirements. Finally, export, name, and archive.

The actual translation step accounts for only about 40% of my total working hours. The remaining 60% is all these unavoidable miscellaneous tasks.

So last week, I did something: I completely locked down the workflow within WorkBuddy that actually works.

My scenario isn't complex. I have a long-term client who repeatedly places orders with very strict requirements: titles must use a specific format, there must be spaces between Chinese and English, punctuation must be full-width, and the glossary version must match the latest one. Previously, I had to manually check these rules for every order, which was easy to miss. One mistake led to back-and-forth revisions, wasting a lot of time.

I wrote the rules into a Skill and fed it to WorkBuddy. Now, when I get the client's source text, I just drop it in, and it automatically runs format checks, term matching, and punctuation normalization. I've run about ten orders through this system, and the revision rate dropped from 30% previously to zero. This data might not be universally applicable, but in my own tests, it's stable.

But there were pitfalls along the way.

The first time I used it, I stated all requirements at once. As a result, WorkBuddy misunderstood one rule, forcibly identifying the client's English abbreviation as a term and replacing it entirely with the full Chinese name. The client didn't say anything after delivery, but I caught it during my self-review, breaking out in a cold sweat. Later, I learned my lesson: feed rules one by one, running a test sample after each addition. This process took me an afternoon, but since then, no similar issues have occurred. Simply put, tools can only amplify the order you already have; the prerequisite for amplification is that you clarify the rules yourself first.

What makes WorkBuddy make me reassess things isn't that it replaces something, but that it liberates "translation" from being a single-point tool.

Previously, when choosing translation tools, I looked at accuracy rates, term bases, and memory banks. But no matter how deep these tools go, they only solve the step from source to target text. They ignore the issues at both ends: which channel the file comes from, whether the format meets requirements, how to archive after delivery, and whether I can retrieve this draft with one click next month when the client asks. These are exactly the areas where freelancers waste their daily time.

WorkBuddy made me realize for the first time that the parameter competition on those translation tool rankings has little to do with my actual work. No matter how large DeepL's term base gets, it can't solve my client's trivial but real rule that "month" and "day" in titles must be separated by a slash instead of a hyphen. WorkBuddy is precisely the container for handling such trivial rules.

Of course, it's not perfect yet.

Debugging Skills still has a bit of a barrier for ordinary users. I know a little CSV and can export glossaries into structured files, so it works for me. I tried letting a friend who has never touched these tools configure it; she got stuck at step five because she didn't know whether to write rules in the "prompt" or the "instruction." WorkBuddy lacks the ability to learn rules from operations. The current logic requires users to understand the tool first, then translate rules into language the tool understands. There's actually a loss in translation in this middle process, much like the profession I'm in.

Another thing that makes me uneasy is permissions. WorkBuddy's default connection permissions for files and email are somewhat open. I spent a lot of time isolating sensitive client data. I mentioned privacy issues in a post last week, so I won't expand here. But this determines whether I dare to use it for core clients.

Back to that ranking. Its core logic is "translation quality determines everything," which held true five years ago but isn't sufficient now. When AI translation quality generally reaches 80-90 points, what decides success is no longer the step from Language A to Language B, but whether the entire chain from order acceptance to delivery is smooth. When I chat with peers, the biggest complaints aren't "this sentence wasn't translated accurately," but "the client changed the required format again" or "I can't find the version of this draft." Translation tools can't manage these things; WorkBuddy can.

I've been thinking about something recently: If WorkBuddy could eventually integrate APIs from Google Translate or DeepL, turning the translation engine itself into a Skill, my workflow would be fully closed-loop. Source text comes in, format rules are checked automatically, terms are matched automatically, the translation engine runs a draft, I polish it manually, run an automatic check before delivery, and handle archiving and naming in one go. At that point, classification rankings for translation tools would shift from "which one should I use" to "which one should I plug into WorkBuddy."

Of course, this might just be my fantasy. WorkBuddy officially hasn't opened such interfaces yet, and I don't know if their future product direction will go this way. But the meaning of tools has never been to make you install one more, but to make you install one less. After using it for two weeks, my deepest takeaway is that it helped me realize one thing clearly: the real efficiency bottleneck has never been at the translation step.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Yelin Does Not Eat Sponsored Meals

Agreed, miscellaneous tasks like quoting and matching requirements are more exhausting than the actual work... I still rely on hardcoding notes in my memo app to remember them. I really admire that OP can lock down the process directly.