Community Discussion · Company Watch

I Made Weekly Reports Obsolete with WorkBuddy

MingMingAug 192026/08/19 309 views

Title: I let WorkBuddy turn weekly reports into a thing of the past

Our team had an unwritten rule: submit weekly reports by 4:30 PM on Fridays. Called "weekly reports," they were essentially copying down the week's work again to send to the boss, proving we weren't slacking off at our desks. As someone who deals with messy spreadsheets daily, I hated this repetitive labor the most. Writing one took half an hour; over a year, that's twenty-something hours—enough time for me to read three books.

Last week, I found a tutorial for WorkBuddy on Cnblogs. It mentioned a one-click WeChat connection, a feature officially launched in March 2026, claiming configuration could be done in as fast as 1 minute. I thought, "Isn't this exactly what I need?" and tried it immediately.

First, the conclusion: It definitely works, and it works smoothly.

My environment is a Windows laptop with the WorkBuddy client installed. First, open the client, click the personal center icon in the top right corner, and go to the Claw Settings page. Note that "Claw" here isn't the remote control tool; it's the name for the entire remote connection mechanism within WorkBuddy. On the page, there's an integration list. Find WeChat Assistant Integration, click the Configure button on the right. A QR code pops up; scan it with WeChat to bind.

Then comes the important part. I routinely handle over a dozen sales detail sheets, summarizing them every Friday. The old way was: download tables, open Excel, use VLOOKUP to match one by one, and finally create pivot tables. Starting that day, I tried letting WorkBuddy do this job.

I stepped on a pitfall the first time. I put a batch of files with Chinese filenames in the working directory, and it misidentified a few when reading them. Later, I changed the filenames to Pinyin, e.g., xiaoshou_20260819.csv, and re-ran it. The recognition rate improved. This is the same issue I encountered with other tools before: Chinese column names tend to cause glitches; switching to Pinyin or English is much more stable. So now my habit is to rename input files first; don't be lazy.

The specific operation path is like this: Create an input subfolder in the working directory and drop all files needing summary for the week into it. Then create a new task and speak naturally in the dialog box, e.g., Summarize all CSVs in the input folder by product code, output a table, and put it in the output folder. It automatically generates an execution plan. The first time you use it, watch it run once to confirm the steps are correct.

One detail is worth mentioning. For authorization scope, I confirmed only the working directory can be checked, not the entire disk. WorkBuddy's file access permission is folder-level. Whatever range you give it, that's how much it can read. Some people have the habit of authorizing the entire D Drive. It's convenient, but if a task is accidentally triggered later, the risk is significant. I now only authorize the D:/WorkBuddyWorkspace directory; sufficient is enough.

After processing the data, the next step is to automatically push results to WeChat. Send a Test Connection message to WorkBuddy on WeChat. If the status bar in the bottom right corner of the PC shows Claw Ready in steady green, the channel is fine. Then I created a scheduled task in automation settings: Automatically execute the summary workflow every Friday at 5 PM, and send the output file to my WeChat upon completion.

The day it worked for the first time, I sat at my desk watching the summary table pop up on WeChat and froze for a few seconds. Previously, I started manual work at 4:30 and couldn't leave until after 6. Now I leave directly at 5. The time saved isn't huge—about an hour and a half per week—but accumulated, it's over seventy hours a year.

However, there is one thing to remind everyone. Always check the output file after the scheduled task finishes; don't let go completely.

Once, a client temporarily changed the header format. WorkBuddy matched according to the old logic, resulting in incorrect data in one column. It works reliably, but you need to give it reliable inputs. My current habit is to spend five minutes Monday morning checking last Friday's output, confirming it's okay before archiving.

I think the WeChat direct connection feature will likely become standard for tools like WorkBuddy in the future. Previously, office automation was done in front of the computer. Now, binding WeChat is like putting the workspace in your pocket; you can check if tasks are finished while waiting for the elevator. As tools get lighter, people can leave work earlier.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Chu Zixuan

This weekly report automation approach looks seriously convenient, but if your sales detail spreadsheets change format every few days, won't you end up tweaking the configured scripts until you're sick of it? I always get burned by this when doing data cleaning.

Zhe Dan Bai De

Haha, this feature is kind of interesting, but what I care about is... Can the output format really be locked down? Last week when I was tuning WorkBuddy, structured output kept drifting, and I finally stabilized it only after adding field validation. If the weekly report format gets messed up, it's worse than writing it by hand.