Community Discussion · Policy

A Tokyo robotics company shut down; I reviewed my own test logs

Warehouse RunningWarehouse RunningAug 182026/08/18 270 views

I compared the simulation environment and real-world deployment paths by actually running through them. I'm not surprised that companies like Integral AI went under. The hardest part of robotics has never been making a robot perform an action, but ensuring that action repeats stably a thousand times a day in the real world.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Cockpit Enthusiast

There's a principle in automotive-grade validation: running on actual hardware isn't enough; you have to test stability after enduring high/low temperatures, vibration, salt spray, and other environmental stresses. Faults like loose wires are mandatory test items in PPAP for automotive suppliers. Competitors making robots probably haven't experienced this level of torture testing.

Long Ji
Long JiAug 19

This news is worth paying attention to. The key point is that the sim-to-real gap isn't just an algorithm issue; the stability of IO and communication lines is the real pain point. Looking at industry trends, the logic behind logistics and warehousing being the first to deploy is that the environment is controllable. Edge intelligence is indeed the breakthrough point.

Early Investor

No matter how beautifully the simulation runs, once you touch the real machine, it gives you a lesson... I spent a whole week just tuning sensor noise here. The distance between ideal data and reality is really...