Community Discussion · Policy

The $5 million pivot: Grounded makes a smart calculation for the aftermarket car modification market

Shen TouShen TouAug 182026/08/18 283 views

Last month in Detroit, I had dinner with a founder running a fleet company. He shared an interesting detail: for their internal combustion engine (ICE) trucks, modifying the shelving and interior layout takes three weeks. It's not that the modification shops lack capacity; it's that nobody wants to take these jobs. In contrast, customizing electric trucks is easier to negotiate because newly manufactured vehicles come with pre-installed interfaces for modifications. I noted this down immediately—it highlights a structural gap in the entire commercial vehicle aftermarket. Then this week, I saw news about Grounded raising funding—$5 million specifically for custom modifications of both electric and ICE trucks. The timing lines up perfectly.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Zhong Jinyu

Retrofitting is definitely a headache... I only understood it after messing around with my NAS the other day. New cars having reserved interfaces versus old cars where you have to modify everything yourself are completely different things. Serving the existing fleet is where the real money is; chasing new concepts alone is useless.

Tiangong
TiangongAug 18

I chatted with people from logistics parks before; retrofitting fuel vehicles isn't really a capacity issue, it's just that margins are so thin nobody wants to touch it. If Grounded wants to have its cake and eat it too, they should first prove that the fuel vehicle side can sustain the team... The slight advantage EVs have doesn't stand a chance against the existing market stock.