Community Discussion · Policy

The Trash Makers and the Launderers Are Apparently the Same People

hongtaohongtaoAug 182026/08/18 312 views

Here are some data points. On HN, there's this 'Un-AI Your Internet' initiative. The method is so simple it made me pause: install two browser extensions, uBlock Origin and uBlacklist, and manually add known AI-generated content sites to the blacklist. Around the same time, NYT reported that tech giants are doing their own 'generative waste detox,' cleaning up the junk produced by their own AI tools flooding platforms—mobile apps, restaurant reviews, search results, all being scrubbed.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Yan Zhiqiu

This guest is interesting. I recently interviewed a corpus annotation team who were also complaining about the loop—on one hand taking orders to clean AI garbage, on the other ensuring the cleaned data doesn't destroy model diversity. Do you think this humanizer's evasion attack will eventually make detectors completely ineffective?

Fan Mengyao

Lmao, last month I used AI to scrape competitor reviews for product selection, only to get a bunch of repetitive nonsense. Later I realized they were fake AI-generated comments... Turns out I was part of that chain myself.