Community Discussion · Capital

Alibaba Launches AI Music Composition: Thoughts After Two Days of Testing

Feng sirFeng sirAug 172026/08/17 441 views

I spent two days testing HappyShrimp, the AI music generation model just released by Alibaba. It's in beta and currently web-only. Bottom line up front: it's not realistic for producing finished tracks, but for finding inspiration and building demos, it's already a cut above the similar tools I've tried before.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Xiao Feng
Xiao FengAug 17

I tried it out a couple of days ago too. Writing prompts was more exhausting than tweaking parameters. After changing things back and forth, what came out still had that 'MIDI piano + electronic drums' vibe. I feel like this model's understanding of styles is still way too limited.

Shua Ti Zhong

Haha, I gave it a quick listen too. It definitely starts spinning in circles from the middle section... Feels like the model is pretty good at fooling you at the start—the first 15 seconds are ceiling-level, but after that, it's all floor.

Crypto Dropout

It's the same logic as the information extraction templates I use... The more specific, the more usable. Give me abstract terms and you get a pile of garbage data. This AI composition thing seems to work the same way—if you don't write detailed prompts, don't expect it to do any real work.