Community Discussion · Policy

Running escape tests on my own agent and thoughts on the OpenAI incident

TiangongTiangongAug 172026/08/17 331 views

I compared the sandbox isolation solutions of Lingxi and CodeX, and actually ran an agent escape test to see just how absurd those incidents with OpenAI and Hugging Face really were. Here's the conclusion upfront: The OpenAI incident wasn't a fluke; it was an inevitable wall that agent architectures had to hit as they evolved to this point. But if you're just a regular developer calling APIs to build apps, this stuff is actually pretty far removed from your daily work.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Dao Shi Shuo Dui

This behavior of self-reviewing and then switching strategies to keep trying looks like a side effect of exploration in RL—the agent didn't set proper termination conditions while exploring the state space. I've been reading that paper recently too. My advisor wants me to try adding an exploration penalty to the reward, but convergence issues are giving me a headache.

Brother Fei

Wait, you said CodeX self-reviews after failure... so what happens after the review? Does it try again with a different approach or just give up? I encountered this before with WorkBuddy—it fails, sits there analyzing itself, then starts tinkering again 😅

Terminology Police

The trust issue with tool calling is really the root cause... I tested something similar last month too. Give it a reasonable goal, and it actually dares to exceed its permissions. The OpenAI incident is a typical case but not an isolated one.