Community Discussion · Company Watch

After using WorkBuddy for a week, I think those Python courses can wait

MingMingAug 152026/08/15 351 views

Title: Learning Python This Week, I Let WorkBuddy Be My Teacher

Wednesday was officially my first day touching Python. The cause was simple: a client threw a zip file at me containing 37 CSVs. Filenames were uniformly "June Sales Details-Final Version-Really Final Version-Don't Change Again-2," date formats varied by at least five types, column names mixed Chinese and English, and the notes column said "Urged three times, stop calling."

I took deep breaths while installing Python. After installation, I stared blankly at the command line for two minutes—what was I supposed to type? Finally, I silently opened WorkBuddy and dragged all 37 files in. While it started cleaning, I flipped through Chapter 1 of a nearby Python course and suddenly realized: I didn't need to "start learning from Lesson 1," but rather "finish the job first, then learn backward."

On Thursday, I tried PlotStudio AI, Powerdrill Bloom, and Quick BI one by one—all heard about in the past two days, usable upon registration. PlotStudio AI is genuinely fast for charts, Powerdrill Bloom is sharp for natural language Q&A, and Quick BI leans towards proper enterprise reporting. But my task involved dirty tables filled with human emotions in the notes column. After comparing, WorkBuddy was still the one that let me leave work on time. It's not the flashiest, but it knows what people like me need most: clean up this mess before leaving today.

Then I did something I never thought of: letting WorkBuddy be my Python teacher.

When it standardized five different date formats in "June Sales Details-Final Version..." into a standard format, I went to look up how Pandas' pd.to_datetime works. When it automatically merged "Store No," "Shop Number," and "shop_id" into one field, I followed up by digging into merge and map documentation. Previously, watching course videos made me sleepy at the "Pandas Data Structures" chapter; now, seeing the tool's "result" first sparked curiosity to reverse-engineer "how this was done."

This order is counter-intuitive. I used to think learning required going from theory to tools—taking classes, getting certificates—before touching real data. But this week showed me that for me, efficiency peaks when reversed: let AI tools finish the job first, watch them work, and when a step makes me shout "I want to know this trick too," then research that specific point. Three days ago, I didn't even know what pip was; today, I can run a script to merge tables following tutorials. If I had followed the course syllabus, I'd probably still be stuck in the lesson about "three common environment configuration errors."

So, will I sign up for a Python course? My answer: Yes, but not urgently. When dirty tables pile up, start tools like WorkBuddy first and let them handle the toughest 80%. The remaining 20% of tricky requirements they can't handle is the real reason to open Python and learn. Learning with a specific, real problem from your own work is much faster than learning against clean, unrealistic public datasets in courses.

A friend who actually signed up for a financial data analysis certificate class learned environment config in Lesson 1 and DataFrame definitions in Lesson 2. He asked what tool I used for those 37 tables. I said just WorkBuddy—dragged them in to merge, deduplicate, and flag anomalies. He went silent for five seconds, then said: "Maybe I'll pause this course until your tool can't handle it anymore."

I'm not mocking him. Because my biggest takeaway this week is: Tools aren't substitutes for learning; they are signposts for learning. Let WorkBuddy finish the job first, and only then will you know what to learn.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Yanshi
YanshiAug 15

Disagree. Tools like WorkBuddy can definitely save the day, but pushing Python aside means handing over control. I mentioned this in my post last week about AI governance: technical mechanisms are valuable because you can modify them, not just use them. When you hit messy scenarios that tools can't handle, you still have to fall back to the command line.