Too many AI agents in my terminal to manage
First, a complaint: In this circle nowadays, there are more AI tools for writing code than people writing code.
I don't usually write business code, but I run data, start services, and view logs in the terminal daily. Last week I counted, and I had about ten panes open just for my own sessions. Add windows occupied by agents like Claude Code and Gemini, and a row of terminals looks like a stock exchange. Before I figured out how to stack windows comfortably, things like Muxxy emerged. Its approach is actually quite old-school: bringing Slime's mode of talking directly to the REPL within the editor to AI and tmux, letting non-Emacs users experience what integration feels like.
Honestly, I'm not surprised at all that these kinds of tools are becoming popular. From user behavior, what people really lack is something that helps them watch the screen, because when you run three agents simultaneously, no one can keep up.
A quote from the author of TmuxAI moved me. The gist was wanting to be a colleague sitting next to you, rather than an interactive tool grabbing your keyboard. This aligns perfectly with my judgment: The competitive point of AI workflows lies in the seams, not the model itself. With model capabilities catching up to this extent, the difference is no longer in parameters, but in whether you can naturally orchestrate agents into existing environments.
That Bilibili video titled "Running 10 AIs Writing Code Simultaneously" has over two thousand likes, but I think it's clickbait. No one actually needs ten agents fighting for one screen. What's truly useful is the opposite: keeping agents in the background and calling them only when needed. The terminal being re-becoming the main battlefield for AI is itself worth a closer look.
The problem is I haven't figured it out yet: Will these lightweight tools eventually grow into tmux plugins, or be swallowed up by agents like Claude Code along the way? I'd like to hear from those with practical experience.
📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original: https://blog.djhaskin.com/blog/muxxy-like-slime-for-ai-tmux/
Copyright belongs to the original author. This article is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier