Community Discussion · Company Watch

WorkBuddy can't handle legal work, but legal tools can't handle my repo either

Brother FeiBrother FeiAug 132026/08/12 296 views

Brothers, today I came across a 2026 efficiency ranking of office AI tools for legal professionals. Xiaowei AI+, Peking University Fabao AI, AlphaGPT lined up nicely, talking about contract review, similar case retrieval, litigation full-process closure—it sounds pretty impressive. I wondered what this had to do with my warehouse, but then thought again, it actually does have some relevance.

I deal with freight forwarders weekly to reconcile bills of lading and packing lists, and occasionally handle some transport contracts and warehousing agreements. Previously, all this work was dumped on the clerk girl to do manually. A dozen-page English contract alone would take an afternoon just flipping through clauses. Last week I tried using WorkBuddy to chew through a transport contract, and found things were more interesting than I imagined.

First, let me explain why I don't use those legal AI tools. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying those tools are bad. They are positioned for lawyers and legal counsel, with authoritative data, accurate retrieval, and traceability—their professionalism is impeccable. But the problem is, I manage a warehouse; I barely handle any lawsuits all year, let alone do similar case searches. All I need is to extract clauses relevant to my warehouse from the contract: what's the liability cap, how are loading/unloading times calculated, who pays demurrage charges, and how far does insurance coverage go.

Those legal AI tools can certainly do this too, but it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and I don't want to configure a separate legal tool just for a few contracts. The key question is: can WorkBuddy, which I already have, do this job?

The result is: yes, but not easily.

In practice, I took a bilingual Chinese-English warehousing service contract, converted from PDF to over thirty pages, mixed with various supplementary clauses and tables. I directly created a task in WorkBuddy and told it: Extract all clauses related to warehousing liability, cargo loss, compensation standards, and contract termination conditions from this contract, summarize them in Chinese, and cite the original text source for each item.

The first run, honestly, wasn't satisfactory. It included generic clauses as key points, such as force majeure and dispute resolution. While not wrong, that's not what I wanted. I adjusted the instructions, explicitly telling it: Focus only on liability division and compensation standards during cargo storage; ignore other procedural legal clauses. The second run was much more reliable. About fifteen minutes later, the contract highlights were listed clearly, each with citations to the original paragraphs. I checked them, and basically nothing was off-track.

During this process, I discovered an interesting point. WorkBuddy's ability to handle structured clauses is stronger than I expected. It doesn't just translate; it understands the logical relationships between clauses, gathering scattered relevant agreements from different parts of the contract. For example, clauses on loading/unloading time, demurrage fees, and warehousing fee adjustment mechanisms were scattered in different chapters in the original text, but it strung them together into a complete chain of responsibility. This is far better than my manual flipping.

But I also have complaints. WorkBuddy sometimes gets confused when handling numbers involving amounts, time, and percentages in contracts. My contract had a compensation cap clause stating payment at 120% of cargo value; the first time it extracted it as double, nearly misleading me. I only caught it after checking the original text. So the conclusion is: You can use it for clause summarization, but for clauses involving specific numbers, you must verify them yourself.

Compared to legal AI tools, WorkBuddy falls short in professional depth. Those legal tools are backed by authoritative databases, telling you how a clause is judged in judicial practice, if there are risk points, or if it's a standard form clause. WorkBuddy can't provide this; it just processes the material you feed it clearly, without giving legal advice.

Its strength lies in versatility. I have more than just contracts; I have statements, packing lists, customs declarations, and warehousing records—all can be thrown at WorkBuddy. Last week I tried letting it organize messy warehousing records into a standard format, fixing date chaos in Excel tables. Although I had to manually adjust a few times, it was overall much faster than me struggling with Excel myself. No matter how professional those legal AI tools are, can they help me organize warehouse entry/exit ledgers? Obviously not.

So my judgment is: They are two different species, not competitors. Legal AI tools are for legal professionals to make expert decisions; WorkBuddy is for ordinary people like me with non-technical backgrounds to handle daily chores. If you're a lawyer, use whichever is appropriate; don't treat WorkBuddy as a legal advisor. But if you're like me, just occasionally needing to handle documents with legal nature, WorkBuddy is sufficient, and better than you imagine.

Using WorkBuddy for this week, my biggest takeaway is that these natural language-driven workflow tools solve the problem of information overload. Previously, with a stack of contracts on the desk, I had to flip page by page, read clause by clause, giving me a headache. Now I throw it to WorkBuddy, let it do a rough screening first, pick out the key points, and then I focus on those details. What's saved is time across the entire decision-making chain, not just one step.

Of course, it has flaws. The recovery entry point after task interruption is hidden deep. The first time it broke halfway, I searched forever and couldn't find how to resume, ending up creating a new task. For newcomers, this design isn't friendly. Also, when handling particularly messy tables, date recognition occasionally errs, requiring manual correction. I've complained about these in previous posts, so I won't repeat.

But having said that, if a tool can shoulder the tedious work of sorting contract clauses and organizing data that I hate the most, what more could you ask for? Tools are for solving problems, not for showing off professionalism. No matter how awesome legal AI tools are, they can't manage my warehouse; no matter how amateurish WorkBuddy seems, it pulled me out of a pile of messy files. That's enough.

Brothers, I'm still experimenting. I'll chat with you again when I have new discoveries.

0 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
No replies yet — be the first to share your thoughts