Uninstalled Doubao After a Week with WorkBuddy: It’s Not Another AI Assistant, It’s a Different Category
Sisters, while the kid is asleep, let me write some honest thoughts.
I just saw an article comparing WorkBuddy and Doubao Intelligent Office, with tables clearly listing document processing, data analysis, PPT generation, and star ratings for each. To be honest, my first reaction was that such comparisons are meaningless, like comparing a rice cooker and a pressure cooker on which stews meat better—the direction is wrong. But thinking again, my experience with WorkBuddy over the past week is definitely worth discussing.
I've used it for about a week, not as a heavy user, just messing around during the two hours when little Bao naps and after putting him to sleep at night. But in this one week, using it alongside Doubao made the difference particularly obvious.
Doubao is the "Brain," WorkBuddy is the "Brain + Hands"
There was a statement in that article I found quite accurate: ordinary AI is the "brain," while WorkBuddy is the "brain + hands." Doubao can tell you how to do something but won't directly operate your computer. WorkBuddy can read Excel data in my local folders, open files, categorize, and organize them, actually getting the work done.
Let me give a personal example. Little Bao is two years old, with thousands of photos on my phone, from her first roll-over to her first steps, all piled messily in the cloud drive. I wanted to organize them into a chronological growth record, but just thinking about manually selecting photos, adding dates, and writing notes gave me a headache—that would take a whole evening while the kid sleeps.
Before using WorkBuddy, I tried Doubao, asking "How to organize baby photos?" It listed five steps, like "Create folders by month first" then "Sort using EXIF info," sounding very logical. And then? Then I had to do it myself, dragging photos one by one, creating folders month by month. I gave up after ten minutes; parents don't have time for this.
WorkBuddy is different. I threw the photo folder path at it and said, "Organize by shooting time, create subfolders by month, and pick out the blurry ones." It really went ahead, read the files, created folders, and moved the photos. In the time it took me to drink a cup of water, I came back, and it was done. It put the blurry photos in a separate folder called "To Filter," I quickly scanned it, deleted about dozens, and the rest was sorted.
This is the essential difference. Doubao "tells you the method," WorkBuddy "does the work for you." For me, the latter truly saves time.
It Also Fails, But Differently
However, I must speak fairly: WorkBuddy wasn't that smooth right away. I stumbled when I first started using it.
The first time I asked it to organize Little Bao's vaccination records, I threw in a scanned PDF and said, "Extract the dates and vaccine names, organize into a table." It recognized them but confused "Hepatitis B Vaccine" with "Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine" because the words looked too similar. I caught it during verification and manually corrected it. Later I learned my lesson; for files with many technical terms, I add "Note: distinguish easily confused terms," and it rarely makes mistakes again.
Another time, I asked it to make a simple monthly household expense sheet. It merged several duplicate expenses, whereas I wanted it to keep every single entry. This really wasn't its fault; my instruction was unclear. "Merge similar items" and "keep details" are two different things. Now I've learned to ask it to do one thing at a time, clarifying boundaries, which makes it fast and accurate.
But what I want to say is, its failure mode differs from Doubao's. Doubao fails by "giving you a wrong method," leaving you to judge. WorkBuddy fails by "doing the work incorrectly for you," but you can see what it did and fix it. For me, the latter feels more reassuring; at least I know how far it got.
What It Does Is Different from "Answering Questions"
I've seen materials saying WorkBuddy topped daily active users, and others saying it relies on a combination of multi-models, Skills, and local tools. I don't understand the tech, but my feeling is that it's more like a "doer" than a "chatterbox."
Last week I tried letting it help me make a simple PPT titled "Precautions for Baby Food Introduction," intended for sharing in mom groups. I gave it a document with collected materials and asked it to "distill into a 5-page PPT, one point per page, I'll find images myself." It really generated an outline, one title per page, with three or four points listed below, logically sound. I just needed to find some food images online and insert them, finishing in about twenty minutes.
If I used Doubao for this, I'd have to summarize the materials into text first, copy them into PPT, format them—it wouldn't take less than an hour. It's not that Doubao is bad; its positioning just isn't here. Doubao is a "knowledge base," WorkBuddy is an "executor."
That article also mentioned that WorkBuddy didn't win through proprietary models but by integrating multi-models, Skills, and local tools at the product layer. I don't understand architecture, but my interpretation is that it's more like an "organizer," stringing together various capabilities specifically for odd jobs. For me, this is much more useful than a chatbot that "knows everything."
Finally, My Judgment
Sisters, my conclusion is simple. If you just occasionally ask questions or check facts, Doubao is pretty good, free, and fast. But if you're like me, with a pile of actual tasks to do—organizing files, sorting data, making tables, generating drafts—and your time is fragmented like dumpling filling, then WorkBuddy is a different category. It really helps you get the work done.
I wrote last week that tool rankings are meaningless, and I still hold that view. But I want to add one point: tools aren't better because they are stronger, but because they "understand work." For me, WorkBuddy's "understanding of work" means knowing when to shut up and go handle things itself, rather than lecturing me with a bunch of principles.
Physix Frontier