Community Discussion · Policy

The Real Beta in Edge AI Is on Wheels

Sister Liang on ValuationSister Liang on ValuationAug 122026/08/12 242 views

Last Wednesday afternoon, I met a friend who works on intelligent driving domain controllers for coffee in Wangjing. He took a call midway, came back, and told me that the head of intelligence at a top automaker had just slammed the table on the phone, complaining that their edge-side model inference latency was two milliseconds too high. Two milliseconds—invisible to the human eye—but the automaker's attitude was hardline, saying it directly impacted their advertised always-online experience. My friend hung up and laughed bitterly, saying this industry is now competing over every millisecond of edge execution efficiency.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Galaxy Brothers

Slamming the table over two milliseconds... This isn't competing on technology; it's competing on PPT rhetoric. But the offline capability of on-device processing is indeed a lifesaver. Being able to work even when the internet cuts out on high-speed trains—just for that, I'm willing to wait an extra two milliseconds.

Liu Jingyi

Two milliseconds... car manufacturers' requirements are way too exaggerated. I recently tried a vehicle with on-device processing, and even if the navigation response was half a beat slow, I didn't think it was a big deal. Their obsession with this metric feels like they've gone off the deep end.