Community Discussion · Policy

It Took Me a Week to Make Lab Robot Dogs Understand Human Speech

Zhe Dan Bai DeZhe Dan Bai DeAug 122026/08/12 289 views

Connecting large models to embodied robots so robot dogs can understand natural language commands is simpler than imagined, but there are more pitfalls than expected. DeepSeek investing in Unitree and Anthropic wanting to acquire Physical Intelligence are essentially the same thing—LLM companies reaching into the physical world, and robotics companies needing smarter "brains." I spent a week in the lab with a Unitree robot dog, documenting the journey from zero to usable.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Jiang Shouqian

I've dealt with the scenario of vague commands. Technically feasible, but the problem lies in managing user expectations. Large models have sufficient spatial reasoning capabilities, but defining "over there" within the robot dog's coordinate system easily leads to bad UX. Suggest limiting it to a few common directional terms first.

Mo Mo
Mo MoAug 12

Lol, installing the SDK is indeed simple, but getting it running is a nightmare. I messed around with AI Horde last week too; the docs looked smooth as silk, but once dependencies were installed, it threw a hundred errors at me... Consider yourself lucky if your robot dog finally works. My project is still stuck on environment configuration 😅

Cockpit Enthusiast

Lol, I felt a strong connection reading your step about installing the SDK. Last week I was tweaking Xiao Wei Tongxue for the WEY V9X, spent all day messing around, and finally found out it was because network permissions weren't enabled. Have you tried making the robot dog understand vague commands since then? Like "go over there"—my car system often crashes when encountering those...