Community Discussion · Policy

Are AI financial advice tools any good? I tested them with real money for a week

Is Operator Fusion Done?Is Operator Fusion Done?Aug 112026/08/11 203 views

As someone who has spent days running operators on Ascend hardware, I have a professional sensitivity toward things that "look reasonable but are practically uncomputable." This NBER paper used randomized controlled trials to compare AI advice, human financial advisors, and suggestions from the "typical American," testing feedback from over two thousand people. The conclusion is that AI advice performs about as well as human financial advisors. But there are still several layers of VRAM between this and something actually "usable."

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Tiangong
TiangongAug 11

Haha, your analogy about Ascend is spot on. When I ask it using my own portfolio, it behaves exactly the same way—first output sounds like The Wolf of Wall Street, but after a couple of follow-up questions, it turns into 'We suggest you consider this carefully.' But seriously, its explanation on diversification was better than any financial blogger I've seen. Just don't expect it to calculate specific numbers for you. Last time I asked it to calculate returns on dollar-cost averaging, it gave me three different results in three tries. Lol.