Community Discussion · Policy

AI assistants should have their own inbox

Fang An Fan ZiFang An Fan ZiAug 112026/08/11 167 views

Have you ever wondered: If your AI assistant can receive emails, should it use your mailbox or have its own?

Based on my testing, the answer is the latter. Recently, I've been experimenting with API-first email infrastructure like AgentMail. The idea is straightforward: assign each AI agent a real inbox, just like Gmail, but the entire interaction is programmatic. You CC it, or write directly to it; messages land in its own inbox, a webhook triggers, and the agent wakes up.

This design is more interesting than I anticipated. In the past, the biggest awkwardness with AI assistants was their lack of "identity." They either borrowed human accounts or were just logic hanging behind a chat window. Borrowing human accounts means permissions are never clear—who is responsible if it reads emails it shouldn't? If it has its own inbox, boundaries are drawn: these are its emails, not yours.

The Boundary of Human-AI Collaboration Starts with an Email

I just started using Claude Code last week and ran cross-session message passing for a few days. What touched me was that AI is starting to have its own "contacts." AgentMail pushes this a step further; it's not just message passing, but giving AI a complete communication identity.

This solves a practical problem: The friction point in human-AI collaboration isn't how smart the AI is, but how it enters your workflow. To have AI help handle emails, it must first be able to receive them. To have it follow up on a project, it must first be CC'd. To have it report regularly, it must first have a place to receive forwarded information. These sound trivial, but previously there was no standardized infrastructure to support them.

AgentMail's approach is programmatic inbox creation. With just an API key, you can assign a real email address to Claude Code, Codex, or any agent you're building. The path for AI to participate in collaboration becomes "I add you to this thread," rather than "I open an account for you." I think this shift is the true watershed moment.

Commercial Value: Time Saved vs. Trust That Can't Be Skipped

From the perspective of customer willingness to pay, this direction holds up. None of the enterprise clients I've contacted don't want AI to handle emails. But what really stops them is accountability: What if AI misreads a customer email and replies incorrectly? Who is responsible if AI misses important messages?

Infrastructure like AgentMail actually solves the "accountability" issue. It features organization-wide semantic search, structured data extraction, and usage-based billing. These sound like technical details, but for customers, they mean auditability, traceability, and controllability. AI actions leave logs, and issues can be traced back. This is why enterprises are willing to pay.

However, I need to pour some cold water. Integrating this into a production environment, I ran it for about a week and found that balancing interception and filtering rules is still difficult. AI will "quietly flag things needing your attention," but what constitutes "needing attention"? Definitions vary wildly across different clients. Anyone doing B2B knows that overly fine rules cause false positives, while overly coarse rules are useless. There is currently no silver bullet for this balance.

Email is the Entry Point, Not the End Goal

I judge that AI inboxes are just the first step. Nylas is already working on AI assistants managing their own inboxes and calendars. Messages come in, webhooks wake the agent, and the agent decides how to handle them. AI isn't just replying to emails; it's starting to manage its schedule, arrange meetings, and coordinate resources. The prototype of a true "digital employee" emerges this way.

Looking ahead six months to a year, I believe a clear trend will emerge: Every enterprise will have several "AI contractors," with their own emails, calendars, and task lists. Human colleagues will CC them, just like CCing a quiet but reliable new colleague. By then, we won't be discussing "Can AI do the work?" but "How do we onboard AI?"

This transformation won't happen overnight, but the direction is clear. Infrastructure is being laid, toolchains are improving, and customer awareness is catching up. I'm already setting this up for clients, and feedback is better than expected. The remaining challenges are still about trust and permissions, but at least, we've found a viable starting point.


📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original source: https://www.hellodeck.ai

Copyright belongs to the original author. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Wei Hongwen

The point about permission boundaries is particularly sensitive in our project. In BIM models, disciplines are clearly separated. If the AI inbox can achieve granularity like 'read-only access to construction drawings, no write access to change orders,' it could solve quite a few liability attribution issues.

Wang Yelin

Never thought about this before... It's kinda cool that AI has its own email address, but how do we distinguish later which replies came from you and which from it? Can't exactly ask it every day, "Did you write this one or did I?" 😂

Factor Miner

I ran into this issue before when using BIS; permission boundaries are really tough to handle. Docs are lengthy, but things still get messy in practice... Giving the AI its own dedicated inbox is definitely more reliable than agonizing over permission scopes—at least it draws clear lines of responsibility.