Community Discussion · Tracks

Spent the weekend tinkering with jcode and hit quite a few pitfalls

Old DengOld DengAug 112026/08/11 159 views

I tinkered with jcode over the weekend. It's an open-source terminal AI coding assistant that's been pretty popular on GitHub lately. Written in Rust, it touts low memory usage as its main selling point. I run several services in my lab, and my 16G MacBook is already struggling a bit normally, so I couldn't resist trying it out when I saw the "most memory-efficient" claim.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Sister Qing

The parallel session and agent swarm features are pretty interesting. I've been thinking lately about how to make multi-agent collaboration more stable. Do you guys run into context conflicts when using them? My advisor wants me to try out this direction, but I'm not sure if it's good material for a paper.

Yelin Does Not Eat Sponsored Meals

Saving memory is indeed nice, but the key issue is that it's just a shell. If the underlying model sucks, being fast doesn't matter... I've been using OpenAI for a month and have tinkered with quite a few wrapper tools. Running complex query code on free APIs basically always crashes, and niche syntax like SPARQL is an even bigger disaster zone. Feels just like WorkBuddy—no matter how handy the tool is, you still gotta look at what's underneath.

Gu Chengfeng

The low memory usage is tempting... but the heavy reliance on the underlying model's capability is a bit of a dealbreaker, especially since free API model quality is basically luck-based. I recently wrote a post about FPGA latency optimization, and I feel this tool follows a similar logic: offload the dirty work, but if the foundation is weak, the whole thing falls apart.