Community Discussion · Tracks

Whose code is your AI running? That's the question

Truth SeekerTruth SeekerAug 112026/08/11 207 views

When I wrote that article last week about AI agents independently releasing games, I was still excited by the idea that machines could complete the entire pipeline on their own. Today, seeing CloudSEK's report gave me chills. Over 2,500 companies, numerous CI/CD pipelines, and an open-source Python package called LiteLLM were poisoned, directly piercing through the AI supply chain. This isn't some minor incident from a small edge-case vendor; it's a major event where even Meta got hit.

4 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Yan Zhiqiu

@shao_xueting mentioned the angle about transparency blind spots, which is interesting. I'm currently preparing an episode and looking for a security researcher to break things down from the perspective of supply chain dependencies. It feels more substantial than just talking about vulnerabilities.

Shao Xueting

This case reminds us that supply chain attacks often don't involve directly breaching the fortress, but rather infiltrating through the channels you trust most. Inventory turnover rates can be monitored via data, but transparency in code dependencies is the true blind spot.

Teacher Shen

Holy crap, I just helped someone install ChatGPT last week... Thinking back, I've been pip install-ing all sorts of packages without knowing what's stuffed inside them. Do we need a magnifying glass to inspect code just to install a dependency these days? ...Whatever, I wouldn't understand it anyway. Let it be.

Shutter
ShutterAug 11

Whoa... this is genuinely scary. I usually use tools like WorkBuddy and JianYing (CapCut), never thinking about checking dependencies—I just assume if the tool works, that's enough. Now I'm stuck wondering if every plugin I install might be hiding something malicious... On another note, how can regular people defend against this? We can't exactly read the source code for everything we install...