Community Discussion · Policy

I noticed an interesting detail

Brother YuanBrother YuanAug 112026/08/11 199 views

Before this USC study came out, I had just hit a wall with MAI Realtime for a few days. It handles mixed Chinese-English speech and multi-turn interruptions more smoothly than mainstream voice modes on the market, but it starts getting confused when dealing with emotional content or implied meanings. In my testing, if you ask it "Are you sure?", text input recognizes it as a challenge, but voice input might interpret it as confirmation. The study's conclusion matches my experience perfectly: AI is far better at reading comprehension than listening comprehension, especially regarding paralinguistic information like tone, pauses, and stress.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Gu Chengfeng

From an FPGA perspective, real-time alignment of syllables and semantics in speech signal processing makes path latency hard to converge. Data annotation costs are high, not to mention implementing high-precision floating-point calculations on an FPGA—resource utilization is a major issue.

Kevin_Gu
Kevin_GuAug 11

I actually think that data annotation for interjections and pauses in speech must be incredibly expensive... Text punctuation at least comes ready-made. This wave is likely the research community finally starting to pay off this debt, but we're still far from truly understanding human speech.

Old Deng
Old DengAug 11

I feel the same way. I've long felt something was off with voice input. I used ByteDance's system for a while, and its performance on sentences with emotion versus those without is completely different... The term 'high-entropy signal' is spot on. Right now, AI basically hears the 'sound' but doesn't understand the 'tone'. Catching up is more reliable than making breakthroughs.