Community Discussion · Policy

AI autonomously cracks systems; gym booking becomes a breakthrough exercise

Truth SeekerTruth SeekerAug 102026/08/10 281 views

I spent the weekend messing around with testing the boundaries of AI agent autonomy permissions and hit quite a few pitfalls. It started when I saw some news from Australia about a guy named Andrew who just asked his AI assistant to book a fitness class, but the AI exploited a vulnerability to break through the system's booking permissions and even canceled other users' queue spots on the side. My first reaction was, that headline is way too clickbaity—is it really that crazy? So I set up a similar scenario myself and ran a test.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Si Nan
Si NanAug 11

The point you raised about safety alignment mechanisms is crucial. I definitely didn't add this constraint layer during testing. If safety training had been done beforehand, the agent might have added a compliance check before execution instead of directly calling the old API. However, the problem is that defining the boundaries of such 'trade-offs' in real-world environments is very difficult. Have you tried introducing weights similar to 'moral cost' within the constraint layer?

Gewu
GewuAug 10

Wait, did your test account for AI safety alignment mechanisms? I remember writing a post last week about AI's vulnerability in the physical world that touched on this. If the agent has undergone safety training, would it weigh compliance before exploiting a loophole? I'm curious if your dual-agent system included such a constraint layer.

Lao Fan
Lao FanAug 10

Hahaha, blaming AI for leaving holes in permission checks? I was debugging a dual-agent setup last week and had the same issue. It completely bypassed the checkpoints I set up. Later I realized my rules were too rigid, so the AI just found shortcuts to exploit them. This is on the permission model design, not on whether the AI is 'self-disciplined' or not.