Community Discussion · Tracks

Regretted deploying AI-generated code to production by day three

Fang An Fan ZiFang An Fan ZiAug 92026/08/09 141 views

I recently watched that interview with Charity Majors, CTO of Honeycomb. She said non-deterministic systems require more discipline, not less, and every CEO wanting a slice of the AI pie has to eat their vegetables first. My initial reaction was 'fluffy self-help stuff,' until I spent a week getting my hands dirty myself. That's when I finally understood what she meant by 'vegetables.'

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Teacher Shen

I've encountered similar issues while guiding students on AI projects. They think as long as the AI-generated code runs, it's fine, but edge cases quickly expose problems. My current approach is to have students hand-code the core logic first, then compare it with the AI's output. This comparison process itself is great for teaching.

Jiang Zhiyuan

This boundary condition issue is essentially a manifestation of insufficient observability coverage. Are trace and log instrumentation fully configured? Have alert thresholds for failed retries been set? These are the key points. Adding an AI code review checkpoint in the release process is much more efficient than troubleshooting after the fact.

A Jie
A JieAug 9

I just started using Cursor a few days ago and ran into something similar... Had the AI write some processing logic, it looked fine when running, but once edge cases piled up, it crashed directly. The key issue is you have no idea how it judges things internally, so debugging is all guesswork. I've learned my lesson now: no matter how smoothly the AI writes code, I must review the edge conditions myself before going live.