Adding a self-working AI assistant to your project isn't that hard
As someone who has just started using AI tools, I tried adding an AI agent to my project. I only heard about this concept last week, and over the weekend, I spent an afternoon installing AgentCN into a test React project. The whole process was simpler than I imagined, but I did hit some pitfalls.
Conclusion first: This is suitable for teams and individuals who want to add AI capabilities to applications without reinventing the wheel. It turns common AI agents into "recipes," installable into your existing project with one command, and then you can modify them however you like.
Step 1: Understand What AgentCN Is
In plain language, an AI agent is a small program that can do work on its own. You give it a goal, and it figures out how to complete it, such as "check the logistics status of this order" or "classify and summarize user feedback." Previously, this required specialized training; now there are ready-made templates.
The AgentCN library is essentially a "box of blocks for AI agents." It contains various ready-made agents that you can use directly. The key point is that, like shadcn/ui, it copies the source code directly into your project. What does that mean? Once installed, the code belongs to you; if you want to change the logic, you edit the code—no black boxes.
Step 2: Installation, One Command
Open the terminal in your project's root directory and type:
That's it. It automatically detects your project type and copies the necessary files. My test took about tens of seconds to complete. After installation, an agents directory appears in the project, containing the agent source code.
At this point, you might ask: I haven't configured anything, how does it know which AI model to use? The default configuration uses frameworks like Eve, Flue, and Mastra, but if your project already has other large model interfaces, just change it in the config file.
Step 3: Modify Code, Let Your Agent Do Its First Job
After installation, let's try running it. Open a sample file in the agents directory, and you'll see code like this:
ts
const agent = new Agent({
name: "support",
instructions: "Answer user questions about products"
})
Beginners often get stuck here. I changed the instructions that day, but nothing worked no matter how I ran it. Later I realized I hadn't rebuilt. Remember, after changing code, restart your dev server to apply changes.
Another pitfall: If you're using Next.js, check your Node version. This library requires Node 18+, and I initially ran it on 16, resulting in a bunch of errors. Upgrading fixed it.
Step 4: Testing, Let It Handle Real Tasks
After modifying the code, you can call this agent directly in your code:
ts
const response = await agent.run("User asks: What is your refund policy?")
It returns an answer. My tests show speed is okay, returning in about two or three seconds. Note that it defaults to remote models; if you want fully local execution, you need to configure local inference engines like Ollama or LM Studio yourself.
A common issue in this step is environment variables. Put the API key in the .env file; don't hardcode it in the code. I wrote it directly in the code the first time and spent an afternoon debugging before realizing it was a key issue.
As a team manager, let me add one thing. From an organizational perspective, the biggest value of such tools is lowering the barrier to AI capabilities. Previously, implementing an AI feature required algorithm engineers spending weeks building frameworks. Now, ordinary backend engineers can install a library, tweak some code, and get it running. Team growth is important; letting more people touch AI is much more efficient than nurturing a specialist expert team.
What to Try Next After Learning This
If you successfully got through the above, next try adding a tool call. For example, let the agent query databases or call external APIs. There should be corresponding examples in AgentCN; just tweak the config.
Or, try connecting the agent to a real scenario, like a customer service bot for an e-commerce site. That would be a complete MVP.
My experience over these past few days involves many details still being explored, but the direction is right: AI agents are turning from "toys for the few" into "daily tools for ordinary developers."
📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News, original: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=49228902
Copyright belongs to the original author; this is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier