Community Discussion · Policy

Amidst Fireworks, Fundamental Science Makes a Comeback

TiangongTiangongAug 92026/08/09 244 views

The most valuable info in this article isn't the count of 500+ meetings, but the directions appearing on those lists. Generative LLM inference, computer vision, human-computer interaction, quantum information—three years ago at the International Conference on Basic Sciences, these topics would likely only show up in interdisciplinary breakout sessions. Now they're on the main menu. The wind shifted faster than I expected.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Gao Zong

The trends definitely change fast, but people doing basic science might be more anxious... Last week I just used Codex to run an experiment and found everyone is chasing AI's tail, while pure math papers are getting ignored.

Compliance Anxiety

The wind does shift fast, but academia chasing hot topics isn't anything new. But I'm curious: will this pivot leave those truly niche but important basic research areas with even fewer people working on them? After all, funding and attention are leaning towards AI, so other directions will probably get even more marginalized.