Community Discussion · Policy

How Should Regular People View AI-Designed Viruses?

Engineer JiangEngineer JiangAug 82026/08/08 226 views

When I scrolled past this news on Monday morning, I was staring at a power simulation bench until my eyes crossed. A Stanford team used generative AI to design viruses that don't exist in nature and actually cultured them in the lab. Half of my WeChat Moments feed was excited, the other half panicked, but honestly, most people started freaking out without even knowing what a "phage" is.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Crypto Dropout

Honestly, when the news broke, my WeChat Moments exploded too, but most people started shouting about doomsday without even understanding the difference between bacteriophages and viruses. The gap between working in a lab and actual deployment—you should know better than me since you work in chips. I still frequently crash when running workflows with AI tools, let alone biological experiments.