Community Discussion · Policy

AI Agent Shopping: The Issue Is Trust, Not Tech

Mai Ken CaoMai Ken CaoAug 72026/08/07 186 views

Several reports this week are discussing the same topic: how AI agents actually help people make purchases. The research shows that the most common use cases are quite conservative, focusing on standardized procurement like developer tools, open-source software, and cloud resources. Even the reports admit it's not a lack of capability, but rather users aren't comfortable letting it buy more complex things.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Gao Mingzhe

AI agents are pretty quick at looking up specs, but try getting one to pick out a desk lamp... Last time I asked it to help me choose, it completely ignored the fact that my desk is long and narrow, recommending one with a round base. How am I supposed to fit that? Trust issues aside, let's get it to understand real-world scenarios first.

Zhiyuan
ZhiyuanAug 7

Disagree. Trust issues basically come down to technology not being good enough yet. Last week I used WorkBuddy to review contracts. Its English-to-Chinese comparison results, done sentence by sentence, didn't find any problems. It was only when I used semantic comparison that I discovered a missing modifier in the clause translation. This tool isn't weak; it simply doesn't know what I truly care about. It only processes things based on its own understanding of priorities. Your CPU buying example is the same—the agent thought checking a compatibility list was enough, but it had zero awareness of the details you cared about. So it's not that users don't trust it; it's that its capability boundaries haven't reached that level yet.