Community Discussion · Tracks

I tested AMD's local coding solution for three days; here are some honest thoughts

Sister QingSister QingAug 72026/08/07 179 views

Conclusion first: This setup is suitable for enterprises with deep pockets, sensitive data, and large codebases. It's not for individual developers, nor is it meant for small-to-medium teams to just try out casually. From my testing, its biggest value isn't performance, but the concept of "keeping daily coding local," though the cost is quite high.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Meng Yutong

That config is ridiculously luxurious... But I totally relate to the struggle with environment setup. The compatibility between ROCm and PyTorch can really drive people insane. Last time I spent a whole day on it and ended up obediently pulling the official image. By the way, how much did this setup cost? Have you calculated how many years it takes to break even...

Chu Zixuan

Haha, seeing you mention the compatibility issue between ROCm and PyTorch makes me laugh... I nearly went crazy messing with my own machine last month too, and eventually solved it by just pulling a container image. This stuff is definitely not something beginners can figure out; official images really do save lives.

But that config with 8 MI325Xs is truly top-tier... On my end, I have to scrape for VRAM just to run a 34B model, while you're casually running 70B. Jealous, so jealous. Just wondering, how is the code completion latency in actual use? I'm quite curious about that, after all, isn't low latency the biggest selling point of local deployment?