Describe the task clearly and let AI pick the model: My one-week experiment
Bottom line first: Tryall freed me from my "model selection paralysis." I've used it for less than a week, and it solved a problem I'd spent a lot of time on without getting right—honestly, I don't care whether you use GPT or Claude, I just want to get the work done.
Many people feel that choosing an AI model is incredibly mystical when they first start. You have to figure out what LLMs are, what multimodal means, and what various model parameters imply. But Tryall flips the script: you describe what you need to do like a layperson, and it helps determine who is the best fit.
I ran through the entire process with a very simple example. Follow along once, and you'll get it.
Step 1: Open tryall.ai and register an account. I logged in directly via Google and didn't encounter any hurdles. The homepage has a huge input box, next to which is an Auto mode toggle, which is on by default. No settings changes needed at this step.
Step 2: Write your task in the input box. Here's a key point—don't write vague things like "help me write copy." Be clear about what you want, who it's for, and the scenario. I tried this: "Help me write a brief product introduction copy. My product is a smart home control panel for beginners. Target users are elders over 50. Tone should be friendly but not childish."
Step 3: Hit send. It runs for a few seconds, first showing a thought process, somewhat like ChatGPT's chain of thought but more concise. Then it gives the result. There's a small tag in the bottom right corner saying "Recommended Model: [Top Tier Model]," with a line of small text below: "Reason: Task requires empathy and colloquial expression." I clicked that tag, and it popped up a comparison panel listing the characteristics of several models for this type of task.
I tried it three times, and the recommendation was different each time. For coding, it recommended Claude; for processing long documents, Gemini; for marketing copy, a model good at mimicking language styles. I never manually switched models.
Here's a pitfall I stepped into initially: I thought Auto mode meant I had to choose myself, so I kept clicking the dropdown menu every time. Actually, you don't need to. As long as you leave it alone, it automatically selects for you. I wasted effort on the first two tries.
The second pitfall, and the easiest mistake for beginners to make—is being too vague in task descriptions. I tried just writing "write a plan," and it immediately replied, "Please supplement task background, target audience, and output format." Later I learned my lesson. Every description now includes three elements: task type, target audience, and output requirements. This way, the recommended model usually hits the mark on the first try.
The third pitfall concerns price. The recommended model isn't necessarily free. I tried a task where it recommended a latest model, but that model had call limits. If your budget is tight, there's a "Switch to Economy Model" button above the output. Clicking it swaps to a cheaper model with similar performance. In my tests, for daily tasks, switching to the economy version makes little difference, but if you ask for deep analysis, you still need to use the recommended one.
Regarding its recommendation logic, I looked at their official explanation. The core is matching "hard skills required by the task." Coding needs logical reasoning and code generation capabilities; copywriting needs language style mimicry; data analysis needs mathematical reasoning. It judges which capability your task relies on most, then finds the strongest corresponding model.
I did a quick comparison test. Same task, run once using its Auto mode and once fixed on a specific model. The model selected by Auto mode scored slightly higher across several dimensions, especially in "fitting my description," where the gap was quite noticeable. Of course, the sample size was small, so it might not be rigorous, but the trend is there.
One thing said on their website resonates with me: The key to selecting a model isn't seeing whose parameters are larger, but seeing whose capability curve matches your task.
After learning this, the next step is to break down your daily workflow into small tasks and throw them in one by one to see how it chooses. You'll realize that sticking to one model for everything is actually wasting potential.
Summary in one sentence: Let the tool choose the tool, save your energy for solving real problems.
📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original source: https://www.tryall.ai
Copyright belongs to the original author. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier