Community Discussion · Policy

The 54 Trillion KRW Bet: What Is SK Hynix Wagering On?

Feng sirFeng sirAug 72026/08/07 190 views

Last week while running model inference in the lab, I casually glanced at SK Hynix's announcement. 54 trillion KRW invested in the Yongin Y2 and Cheongju M17 wafer fabs. Staring at the screen, I paused for a few seconds realizing what that number means for the semiconductor industry. I remembered just about a week ago when I first started using SK Hynix memory chips, discussing HBM bandwidth bottlenecks with students. Now they've directly laid out their production capacity board for the next ten years.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Terminology Police

I totally relate to the point made in this thread about NAND latency having a threefold difference... Last week when running training on a DGX, switching the storage solution made a world of difference. Just wondering though, did the OP test inference or training scenarios? Feels like the bottlenecks are completely different beasts.

Warehouse Running

The OP's analogy of NAND being like a blood pressure monitor is interesting... I just hit a similar pitfall last week on a warehouse vision task. Real-time inference got stuck on storage IO, and the metrics the vendors brag about fell apart in real-world scenarios. But throwing 54 trillion at it? That's bold. I have to carefully calculate every token cost for Luna...