After Two Weeks with WorkBuddy, I Removed 'AI Anxiety' from My Gear List
Title: Just Started Using WorkBuddy, Deleted "AI Anxiety" from My Gear List
Last week after shooting a wedding, the couple asked me to organize 600+ raw photos into three options based on the timeline. I edited until 2 AM, my brain numb, suddenly remembering an article I'd seen days ago titled "Ultimate 2026 AI Agent Comparison," featuring Codex and WorkBuddy. At the time I scoffed—another "must-install list." But staring at folders full of files at 2 AM, I impulsively downloaded WorkBuddy.
I shoot weddings and e-commerce products; I'm not an office worker. Yet everything I've handled with WorkBuddy these past few days has been "chores"—quotes, shooting plans, client communication scripts, even summaries for wedding agencies. The result is unexpected: What surprised me most wasn't its intelligence, but its quietness. It doesn't rush ahead aggressively; it silently compresses an hour of manual work into fifteen minutes.
From Resistance to "Oh, So That's How"
I really didn't plan to use it initially. My workflow involves Lightroom for editing, WeChat groups for quotes, Excel for accounting—three siloed apps. I never imagined needing a "workbench" to connect them. But that night, I simply couldn't bear manually organizing photo numbers and timestamps for 600 images into a document.
I tried telling WorkBuddy: "Organize the raw photo list for the June 15th wedding chronologically into a table, labeling scenes and shot counts for each group." It started automatically searching folders, reading image metadata, and within about three minutes produced a table formatted as cleanly as if I'd laid it out myself. I froze. Not because of accuracy, but because I hadn't told it where the images were, how to read timestamps, or whether to split columns. It planned the steps itself.
This sense of "self-planning" felt like using autofocus for the first time—thrilling yet unsettling. I checked every row and found three photos with misread timestamps, but the overall framework was correct. I manually fixed those three spots, regenerated, and this time it was perfect.
Pitfalls Encountered: It's Not a Photographer, But It Understands Process
In these first few days, I definitely hit some snags. The classic example: asking it to generate promotional copy for an "Autumn Wedding Photography Package." It gave me four versions, beautifully worded but totally wrong. I never write phrases like "capturing moments of love." I write "all raw files delivered, 40 retouched, 8-hour shoot, 3-day rush." Initially, WorkBuddy didn't understand my style, producing generic agency templates.
Later I learned my lesson. I threw my last month's quote sheet at it and said, "Write in this style." It mimicked quickly—tone, layout, even my habitual phrase "fair trade for all ages" appeared. This taught me one thing: WorkBuddy is not a creator; it's an executor. You need to give it a "reference" or "boundary" for it to sound like you. It's like using filters—you must choose the base film style first for the filter to matter.
My testing shows truly efficient usage is handing over the "manual steps":
- Translating a client's vague "want dark tones, cinematic feel" into specific shooting parameters and editing directions
- Automatically aggregating 30+ invoice and taxi receipt screenshots into an expense report
- Compressing a 2,000-word requirement description from a wedding agency into a one-page execution checklist
These tasks aren't complex but are time-consuming. Testing WorkBuddy on them, about 80% were ready for delivery directly; the remaining 20% needed minor tweaks. Even including that tweaking time, it saved more than half compared to doing it manually.
Compared to Codex? They're Not Even in the Same Lane
That "ultimate comparison" article pitted Codex against WorkBuddy across ten dimensions. As a photographer, my feeling is comparing a race car to a van on speed—meaningless.
Codex is for coders. It lives in the terminal, understands Git branches, checks for SQL injection. I've been shooting weddings for over a decade and haven't properly learned what SQL is. WorkBuddy is for workers. It lives in the office, understands Excel-to-PPT conversion, syncing to Tencent Docs, and logging in via WeChat QR code.
I chose WorkBuddy purely because it doesn't discriminate by user. My mentor is over fifty and struggles even with Photoshop, but let him use WorkBuddy to organize client lists, and he uses it immediately after scanning the code. This "scan-and-use" experience is what we call "low barrier, high ceiling" in photography circles—like portrait lenses needing wide apertures, but bodies needing quick handling. WorkBuddy is that wide-aperture, easy-to-handle body.
However, I must be fair. If you're actually a developer or need to run complex automation flows in a terminal, WorkBuddy might lack depth. It delivers results, not a sandbox for endless tinkering. I once tried making it process project docs containing 27 microservices. It panicked and replied, "Beyond my processing scope." Paradoxically, this reassured me—it knows what it can't do, which is better than AIs that answer anything.
A Photo That Reminded Me of Something
I have a photo on my phone of a quadruped robot standing quietly on a wooden floor, looking like a tamed mechanical dog. When I shot it, I thought of one word: Collaboration. Robots don't replace humans; they run errands for us. WorkBuddy fits this role for me too. It doesn't shoot, edit, or negotiate emotions with clients. It just frees me from repetitive labor like "organizing 600 raw photo lists," giving me energy to think about how to light that afternoon sun to make the bride's dress look lighter.
Previously, I felt anxious thinking more AI tools meant falling behind. Now I've deleted all those "must-install lists" and kept only WorkBuddy. Not because it's the best, but because it's just enough, and it's quiet. For me, the beauty of a tool lies in staying quietly in the corner, waiting for you to say "do this," then placing the result on the desk without seeking credit or explanation. That's far more comfortable than flashy interfaces that constantly try to teach you how to work.
Ultimately, tools are like services: expensive doesn't mean right; convenient means right.
Physix Frontier