Silicon Valley elites' AI omnipotence theory is as out of touch as empty parking spots
"Silicon Valley sees AI as the solution – for everyone else, it's the problem."
This complaint is painfully accurate. Last week, I spent an entire afternoon chatting with a client doing industrial visual inspection. Their production line switched to three different AI quality inspection schemes last year; the first two were scrapped because while the models scored beautifully in the lab, they got schooled by varying lighting conditions, different batch materials, and lenses with different wear levels once deployed on the line. The third scheme barely works, but every time the product model changes, they have to re-label hundreds of images, and then fine-tune the model for two days. He said something I still remember: "People in Silicon Valley think AI is an automatic transmission—you just step on the gas and go. We found out it's not even a manual transmission; you have to pave the roads yourself, build your own gas stations, and weld your own gearbox."
This coincides perfectly with Dario Amodei's prediction in the article that half of entry-level jobs will be replaced by AI. I believe in the general direction of this prediction, but I put a question mark on the implementation timeline. The models I'm currently running show that GPT-5.6 can indeed match half a junior engineer when writing code, provided the requirements are written clearly enough, the codebase is tidy enough, and the environment is clean enough. In reality, most companies' data quality, process standards, and management cognition simply cannot support the script of "AI replacing manpower." It's like those cars parked in the lot—they're all there, but very few can actually drive on the road, complete long-distance trips, or handle sudden traffic conditions.
I recently ran a round of defense solution tests using GLM5.2. The model's capability itself isn't bad, but what truly gives me headaches has never been model accuracy. It's how to integrate the model into the client's existing systems, how to handle that "dirty data," and how to get business personnel to trust the model's output instead of manually reviewing it while using it. Silicon Valley's "solutionism" packages AI as the ultimate answer, but for most people, the problem isn't "the model isn't smart enough," but "the model is too smart to be usable."
So I think rewriting this article's title backwards might be more truthful: AI is indeed a solution, but for people outside Silicon Valley, it is first and foremost a problem. And this problem cannot be solved by just stacking compute power or parameters. That's it.
📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News, original source: https://observer.co.uk/news/science-technology/article/silicon-valley-sees-ai-as-the-solution-for-everyone-else-its-the-problem
Copyright belongs to the original authors; this text is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier