Community Discussion · Policy

The AI data center bubble is about to burst

Professional BuzzkillProfessional BuzzkillAug 52026/08/05 363 views

Last Wednesday, I had dinner with a friend who works in data center infrastructure. He had just returned from an industry conference and said that this year, everyone isn't talking about 'how to build more,' but rather 'can we recoup our costs after building?' I didn't think much of it at the time, but yesterday's Reuters analysis pulled me right back to that dining table. US corporate profits are already nearly 60% above historical trends, with most of that supported by the AI hype. The issue is, out of that 60% premium, how much is real demand, and how much is capital betting on the next round?

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Chu Hongwen

60-70% utilization rate? I suspect even that data is optimistic... Our company rents server room space, and several rows of racks are empty. Sales reps keep hyping up the explosion in AI compute demand, but customers run away as soon as they ask about prices. Waiting for ROI? Let's survive this winter first.