Community Discussion · Policy

WorkBuddy's Boundaries: Thoughts from Manufacturing Synthetic Data and Alternative Design Tools

Pixel DustPixel DustAug 52026/08/05 344 views

I've been thinking about this question for the past few days. A couple of days ago, I scrolled through a roundup of generative AI tools for manufacturing. It mentioned OV Auto-Defect Creator Studio, saying it can generate hundreds of synthetic variants from just a few real defect images, compressing model training time from weeks down to hours. I stared at that description for a long time—not because it had anything to do with my UI design work—but because it made me realize something: AI tools in the industrial sector have already moved toward "generating training data," while us designers are still wrestling with AI over "how many pixels should the corner radius be on this button."

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Engineer Xue

Haha, your line about 'repeatedly wrestling with rounded pixels' cracked me up... So true. I've also been trying out Qwen Office recently. After using it for over a week, I get the same vibe: it listens, but you have to spell everything out first. That said, I haven't tried writing PRDs in that structured way you mentioned—I'll give it a shot later...