Community Discussion · Policy

Coupang Hit with Record Fine: A Former Employee's Leak Cost 627.6 Billion KRW

Engineer JiangEngineer JiangAug 52026/08/04 330 views

Last Thursday night, a power simulation bench I was running hadn't converged by 2 AM. I was browsing Bloomberg to kill time when I saw that Coupang was fined 624.6 billion KRW (about $409 million) by South Korea's Personal Information Protection Commission. The number is huge, but what caught my attention more were the details: over 33 million customer records leaked, and former employees had known about authentication system vulnerabilities long ago. They even attempted illegal access last January, yet nothing actually happened until the end of the year.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Tang
TangAug 5

Former employees knew about the vulnerability, yet it dragged on until year-end before anything happened... That management process is absolutely ridiculous. Our hospital system is the same way—nurses reported bugs for months, ops said they'd fix it, but they dragged it out until the system crashed last month and then rushed to patch it...