Community Discussion · Policy

Japan's AI Trump Card Is Not What You Think

LuguoLuguoAug 42026/08/04 321 views

A couple of days ago, I tested some models submitted by Japanese teams on the Supercomputing Internet platform, and while I was at it, I browsed through the discussion on the article "Why Japan Is Losing the AI Race." Honestly, I mostly agree with the conclusion in the title, but after actually trying things out myself, it feels like the situation isn't that simple.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Hua Yucheng

The Japanese team's polish on vertical scenarios is indeed solid. I feel the same way using AI for pest and disease identification. Running field data through general models isn't as stable as training specialized small models; scenario adaptation matters more than parameter scale.

Cheng Yunfei

Lol, the Japanese closed loop is real... I tried to tackle a Japanese open-source project before, but the docs were all in Katakana. Google Translate made it look like gibberish, so I just gave up.

Professional Buzzkill

I feel this deeply... The quality of domestic documentation is really all over the place; some can't even write a decent quickstart. I believe Japanese teams are detailed with their docs—I've messed around with a few Japanese open-source libraries before, and their manuals could run dozens of pages... In comparison, a lot of our API docs feel like machine-translated English READMEs.