Draftlight Hands-on: An AI Assistant That Doesn't Write For You
Bottom line first: I've used Draftlight for about a week, and its positioning feels unique—it doesn't replace your writing, it helps you write more like yourself. If you're fed up with AI-generated text that's "steady but soulless," give this a try.
Its core function is a writing environment, but unlike regular editors: while you write, AI chats with you as a "conversational partner." It doesn't just hand you a block of pre-written text; instead, it asks questions, gives feedback, and points out holes in your reasoning. After running it a few times, I realized it's actually helping you build the "thinking process behind writing," not just outputting results.
How to Get Started
Registration is simple. Go to the official site, click Get Started, and log in with email or Google account. Once inside, the interface is a clean editor box: document list on the left, main editing area on the right. When I opened it for the first time, I paused for a second: the UI is too plain; there isn't even an "AI Write Article" button.
Let's run through the flow. I started drafting "Why AI-generated content reads boringly." After three lines, Draftlight's chat window popped up and asked: "Does the 'boredom' you mentioned refer to pacing issues, lack of novel viewpoints, or overly average language style?" I froze for a moment—this question was pretty spot-on.
It doesn't write a paragraph for you like ChatGPT does; it's like an editor chatting with you next to you. You write a bit, it gives feedback. I tried writing a longer section, and it gave several suggestions. One was to change the opening "AI-generated content" to "text vomited out by AI"—I hesitated, made the change, and it definitely hit harder.
Pitfalls Log
I made a mistake when starting out: assuming it worked like ChatGPT, I directly asked it to "help me write a piece of xx content." It replied, "I suggest you clarify your core viewpoint first, then show me." I was confused at first, but later realized Draftlight's design logic is "You write, I suggest," not "I write, you edit."
Another pitfall: it doesn't support copy-paste. I didn't notice initially and tried copying a paragraph from another doc, only to find the paste option grayed out. Later I read the docs and learned this is intentional—to force you to actually write yourself, not treat AI as a patchwork tool. For someone like me who often borrows material from elsewhere, it was admittedly uncomfortable at first.
The third pitfall: the default "dialogue mode" sometimes interrupts writing flow. When I'm writing smoothly, it suddenly pops up a question, breaking my train of thought. I later found you can turn off auto-dialogue and switch to manual triggering. This setting is hidden in Preferences in the top right corner, under an Auto-dialogue toggle. Turning it off brings much peace.
Differences from Similar Tools
I've tried writing with ChatGPT. Its model is "you give a prompt, it outputs content," then you edit. Draftlight is the reverse—you write, it asks you. It's a bit like what Tyler Cowen says: "I don't let AI write for me; I let AI debate with me." Draftlight is more like that debating opponent, not a ghostwriter.
I tried using it to write a Xiaohongshu (Little Red Book) caption, about 800 words. The whole process took 40 minutes. Faster than writing myself, but not absurdly so. Where it saved time wasn't in "writing," but in "thinking clearly before writing." Previously, I'd often realize halfway through that the logic didn't hold up and have to start over. A few times, its questions directly exposed holes in my argument chain, saving me effort on later revisions.
Next Steps After Learning This
If you've mastered the basics, try using Draftlight for long-form writing, like an analysis over 3000 words. Its dialogue mode adds more value in long-form because the longer it gets, the easier it is to drift off-topic; AI can pull you back mid-way. You can also try using it to revise articles you wrote previously, to see how many expression issues it catches that you missed.
📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original source: https://draftlight.xyz/
All rights reserved by the original author. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier