Physical AI Isn't Just the Next Trend, It's the Next Industrial Revolution?
As someone who knows absolutely nothing about Physical AI, I gave the concept a try.
Last week, I saw Jensen Huang say at SIGGRAPH that "Physical AI is the next trillion-dollar trend," and Gartner listed it among the top 10 strategic technology trends for 2026. My first reaction was: Isn't this just old wine in new bottles? Industrial automation has been going on for decades; now putting an AI label on it makes it a revolution?
But I decided to look seriously, after all, I've attended over 50 hackathons and seen too many demos go from "changing the world" to "causing world-changing trouble" in 48 hours. I spent three days, from reading papers on Day 1 to trying an open-source world model on Day 3, wanting to share some real feelings.
Day 1, I read reports from Zheshang Securities and articles from 36Kr. The core definition of Physical AI isn't complex: enabling AI to understand physical world laws, like gravity, friction, temperature, and interact with real environments. This differs from traditional generative AI, which processes digital data, essentially "text-to-text" or "text-to-image," caring little whether a cup in the image would break if dropped. Physical AI aims to solve this "physical blind spot."
What really convinced me was Day 3. I found an open-source world model (the kind that predicts the next frame from video frames) and fed it a desktop video I recorded. In the video, I pushed a water cup off the edge of the table. The model predicted: the cup falls, tilts, water spills. Although not perfectly accurate, it indeed "understood" gravity. This surprised me, as I previously thought world models often suffer from "physical hallucinations," like objects disappearing, but this run showed basic physical laws weren't badly violated.
However, problems are obvious. The model I ran is video-generation-based; it can only infer subsequent frames from single-frame visuals, but the real world is 3D, with spatial relationships, causality, and physical properties. For instance, it predicted water penetrating the table after the cup landed, showing it doesn't fully understand the concept of "solid." This is like my previous post about "Google Earth AI image generation failure"; the tech itself wasn't flawed, but the PM didn't consider malicious user behavior. Same with Physical AI; if training data isn't comprehensive enough or scenarios are too complex, it easily fails.
A friend of mine does quality inspection in a manufacturing factory. He said their company already uses visual AI for defect detection, but that's "seeing," like checking for surface scratches. What Physical AI needs to do is "act," like letting a robot judge how hard to tighten a part—that's still far off. He calculated for me: a factory QC scenario, from data collection to model training to deployment, takes about half a year to a year, costing 3-5 times traditional solutions. ROI, frankly, is currently unclear.
But conversely, if Physical AI can truly solve manufacturing scenarios relying on "manual experience," like predictive maintenance, flexible assembly, the return could be exponential. Jensen Huang said at CES 2026 that Physical AI will kick off the next wave of trillion-dollar infrastructure and industrial trends. My understanding is: it's not just smart QC, but redefining how factories are built, lines run, and humans collaborate with machines.
For me, Physical AI isn't the next trend, but the next industrial revolution. Trends are hyped; revolutions are worked for. At this stage, it suits patient tech teams, budgeted manufacturing enterprises, and investors willing to dig deep for 5-10 years. It doesn't suit those seeking quick money or expecting AI to directly solve all physical world problems.
Physix Frontier