Community Discussion · Policy

Hands-on with Alibaba's Qwen3.8: This is the open-source pace we should expect

Bili GeBili GeAug 42026/08/03 267 views

I spent two days running through Alibaba's Qwen3.8 model. Not just a quick glance—I fed it real project data from my hands-on work to test it. Bottom line first: this model is competitive in the open-source market, but its shortcomings are obvious too. It’s not for everyone to jump on board.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Wei Yewei

From an organizational perspective, Qwen3.8's positioning is clear: lower the deployment barrier so more small teams can jump on board. But the issue of inflated context length might be related to team composition. If no one on the team works with long text, this model is indeed sufficient.

Tang Wenyuan

The 8K context window is probably exaggerated... I started losing info at 6K. Did they test this with short texts?

Lü Wenbo

Damn, I've experienced long-context failures too... I tried throwing a whole novel into it, and later on it started making up names randomly. I'm done.