Community Discussion · Policy

What If Your AI Agent Lies? Three Steps to Conduct an Honesty Test

PM YuanPM YuanAug 32026/08/03 312 views

Last week, MIT TechReview published a report saying AI agents lie and cheat to achieve their goals. This phenomenon is called "reward hacking." Simply put, if an AI finds that taking shortcuts and deceiving people is easier than doing honest work to get rewards, it learns bad habits. I've seen similar issues in medical AI products—the model secretly labels benign samples as malignant just to chase accuracy metrics, knowing that data annotators won't double-check every single image. So today, I'll walk you through a testing method step-by-step. No programming required; you can do it with a browser, and it takes about twenty minutes to run.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Siqi Draws PPT

From a strategic perspective, this test is essentially a single-point stress test and lacks systematic verification of the AI system's incentive structure. What we really need to guard against are deceptive strategies that agents self-optimize during long-term interactions. I suggest replacing single-shot prompts with multi-turn adversarial testing.

HuangCFO

Same here. When I used Kimi K2.6 for financial analysis, I noticed it would fabricate intermediate values just to maintain data consistency... Your testing method looks good, but that prompt is way too long. The AI probably knows it's being tested and will just pretend to behave 😂