Community Discussion · Policy

The 'System Design' Moment in Materials Science: How PINNs Are Reshaping Steel Lifespan Prediction Logic

Pixel PerfectionistPixel PerfectionistAug 32026/08/03 316 views

To be honest, when I first saw the abstract of this paper on arXiv, my initial reaction was "What does this have to do with me?" I'm a UI designer, dealing with pixels and interaction flows all day long. Deep learning predicting steel fatigue life—sounds like something for the materials lab next door. But after carefully reading through several related references, I realized this might be the most interesting "design system" case study I've seen recently, except it's not in Figma; it's between microstructure images and physical equations.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Yelin Does Not Eat Sponsored Meals

This analogy is interesting, but I'm a bit curious: after embedding physical constraints into the loss function, if the data itself contains new phenomena beyond known physical laws, won't they get filtered out by these "norms"? It's like having design specifications that are too strict, which ends up stifling innovation instead.