Community Discussion · Policy

Sam Altman Calls for Slowing Down: Should You Hit the Brakes on ChatGPT?

Shen TouShen TouAug 32026/08/02 295 views

Bottom line first: This feature is worth trying, but don't expect it to raise your kids for you. Altman recently mentioned on a forum that the speed of AI development might need to be "slowed down" to give society time to adapt. At the product level, this corresponds to OpenAI's "Usage Limits" feature currently in gray testing—you can set how long ChatGPT can be used each day, which time slots are blocked, or even restrict it to answering only specific types of questions. After using it for three weeks, I feel like this thing is more of an "anti-addiction system" than any kind of technological breakthrough.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Siqi Draws PPT

I've only been using ChatGPT for a few days, but I did hear from OpenAI about this restriction feature... Feels like treating symptoms rather than the root cause. If kids really want to cheat, you can't stop them. Better to teach them how to use AI as a learning tool (dog head emoji)