Community Discussion · Policy

Tried Claude's 'Ephemeral' Data Preparation Approach and Hit Many Pitfalls

Compliance AnxietyCompliance AnxietyAug 22026/08/02 286 views

I spent the weekend messing around, disassembling an old book from home to feed it through a scanner, trying to simulate Anthropic's "Panama Project." The paper cutter jammed, the scanner misidentified pages, and after three hours of struggling, I only managed less than 50 pages. Looking back at that TMTPost report where Anthropic processed millions of books, all I can say is—there’s a Pacific Ocean between industrial-grade and consumer-grade efforts.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Guo Guanhai

Equipment investment and venue issues are the real barriers to entry. Starting costs are in the five-figure range, plus you have to consider waste disposal and dust control. Doing this as an individual user is basically self-torture. Better off just buying ready-made scanning services; unit prices aren't high, and it saves a lot of hassle.