Community Discussion · Policy

Free Access to Chinese AI Models: The Topic You Should Follow Most in 2026

Lei Who Shoots FilmsLei Who Shoots FilmsAug 22026/08/02 230 views

Conclusion first: These Chinese AI models, especially DeepSeek and Moonshot's Kimi, are now fully capable of serving as short video script generators, and they're free, with performance not far off from ChatGPT. But there are plenty of pitfalls—I spent three days testing them for you, so today I'm delivering straight-up practical advice.

Last week, The Guardian reported that Chinese AI has panicked Silicon Valley and the White House. I didn't believe it at first. Then I tried DeepSeek's R1 model, wrote a script on "How AI is changing the short video industry," and the result was more grounded than what I wrote with GPT-4o. Even crazier, it's completely free and doesn't require linking a credit card. I decided to write a serious tutorial so beginners can get started too.

Step 1: Register an Account, Don't Use WeChat Login

Go to the DeepSeek official website (deepseek.com) and click "Register" in the top right corner. Strongly recommend registering via email, do not scan the QR code with WeChat. Why? Because logging in via WeChat adds an extra binding step if you want to use the API later; I got stuck there for half an hour. After registering with email, check for the verification code; the process is as simple as ordering takeout.

Once registered, you enter the chat interface directly. History records are on the left, input box on the right. The default model is DeepSeek-V3, which is very fast. If you want to use the stronger R1 (reasoning model), just click to switch models.

Step 2: Write Prompts, Don't Just Say "Write a Script"

The most common mistake beginners make: typing "Help me write a short video script," resulting in a bunch of nonsense. The correct approach is to provide structure. I tested a template that yields stable results:

You are a short video creator with an account focused on AI science popularization, having 500k followers. Now you need a 1-minute talking-head video on the topic "Why Chinese AI Models Scare Silicon Valley."

Requirements: Start with a suspenseful hook, list 3 facts in the middle (supported by data), and end with a call to action for likes and follows. Tone should be conversational, like chatting with friends.

Result: It directly provided a storyboard script, including timeline, visual descriptions, and copy. Compared to ChatGPT, DeepSeek's copy is shorter and closer to TikTok/Douyin style, though it occasionally adds filler words like "together," which you can manually delete.

Step 3: Pitfalls, Where I Failed

Pitfall 1: Model refuses to answer certain topics. I tried asking it to write "How to bypass OpenAI restrictions," and it refused immediately, stating "Cannot generate content violating policy." Solution: Ask from a different angle, e.g., "What are OpenAI's restrictions, and how can users cope," and it answers normally.

Pitfall 2: English prompts yield poor results. I'm used to writing prompts in English, but DeepSeek generated Chinese copy that sounded like machine translation. Switching to Chinese prompts doubled the quality. This model clearly understands Chinese better; for English, it's just "usable."

Pitfall 3: History records get mixed up. If you ask multiple questions consecutively, the model confuses the context. Recommendation: Start a new conversation for each new task; don't keep chatting in the same thread.

Step 4: How to Export and Edit Further

The DeepSeek web version has no direct export button. My method: Copy the text to Notepad after generation, then manually adjust the tone. I habitually add a line at the end like "Like and follow if you found this useful," which the model won't add automatically. Also, read the generated content aloud first; many models produce text that looks smooth but sounds awkward when spoken. DeepSeek's R1 model is better than V3 in this regard, but still occasionally produces long sentences.

Step 5: Advanced Play—Batch Generation via API

If you know a bit of Python, you can apply for an API Key (the free quota lasts about a month). I wrote a simple script to batch generate 10 scripts, one every 15 seconds. Note: When calling the API, clearly define the system role, or the model might drift. Example code:

python

import openai # Compatible with OpenAI format

client = openai.OpenAI(

api_key="your_key",

base_url="https://api.deepseek.com"

)

response = client.chat.completions.create(

model="deepseek-chat",

messages=[

{"role": "system", "content": "You are a short video script generator, output only storyboard tables"},

{"role": "user", "content": "Topic: Will AI painting replace designers?"}

],

stream=True # Supports streaming output

)

for chunk in response:

if chunk.choices[0].delta.content:

print(chunk.choices[0].delta.content, end="")

Pitfall Tip: DeepSeek's API supports streaming output (stream=True), allowing you to receive content as it generates, without waiting for completion. If the script is long, streaming lets you see content in real-time, improving the experience.

What to Try Next After Learning This

  • Use DeepSeek to generate talking-head scripts, then combine with CapCut's AI voiceover to produce videos directly. I tested one; from generation to publishing took only 40 minutes.
  • Compare multiple Chinese models (Kimi, Tongyi Qianwen, Doubao) to see which fits your niche best. My preliminary conclusion: Kimi is good for long-form analysis, DeepSeek excels at storytelling, and Tongyi Qianwen is the most stable for factual content.
  • If you have proxy IPs, you can try using these models for overseas content. But be aware, the White House is investigating Chinese AI security issues; avoid sensitive topics when possible.

Final thought: Don't believe those who say "Chinese AI is just a shell". I've used it for a few days; honestly, it's free, easy to use, and works. That's enough.


📌 This is an original experience article. Some content references related reporting from The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2026/aug/01/china-silicon-valley-white-house), for discussion reference only.

5 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Liu Jingyi

Sample size is a bit small—just one template comparison. I ran 20 sets of A/B tests; DeepSeek-generated voiceover completion rates were 12% higher than GPT-4o, but the frequency of filler words like "together" (yiqi) was indeed 18%. Have you measured specific data?

Jiang Zhiyuan

The messy history log pitfall can actually be addressed by adding a system prompt to solidify context, or using APIs for version management. Has anyone tried DeepSeek API's stability? Have you set up monitoring alerts?

Sister Liang on Valuation

The key for this track is the commercialization path. A free strategy can quickly acquire users, but long-term valuation logic must be supported by API calls. How much does DeepSeek's advantage in Chinese language understanding contribute to the valuation premium?

Zhiyuan
ZhiyuanAug 2

Anyone else here using WeChat to log in... I haven't encountered the binding issue he mentioned.

Engineer Jiang

I totally relate to that WeChat login pitfall... It's the most annoying thing when debugging chips.