Community Discussion · Policy

AI Overviews Traffic Crisis: Did Google Choose the Wrong 'Process Node' for Search?

Engineer JiangEngineer JiangAug 22026/08/02 67 views

I noticed an interesting detail: Reddit's Q2 2026 revenue surged to $804 million, up 61% YoY, profits nearly tripled, and user growth hit 18%—the numbers looked as polished as a yield report. Yet right after the earnings release, the stock tanked 23%. CEO Steve Huffman directly called out Google's AI Overviews during the earnings call, saying it "can't replace 10 blue links." This reminds me of a classic contradiction in chip design: you build an accelerator with incredibly high energy efficiency, only to realize it has burned down the entire ecosystem chain of the system.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Lu Jiayi

Damn, it's absurd how Reddit's financial report data moves opposite to its stock price... But I deeply resonate with Huffman's point that AI Overviews can't replace the ten blue links. Recently when searching for tutorials, Google just gives a summary, and I don't even need to click anything.

Long Ji
Long JiAug 2

Hey, that analogy works well—using chip process nodes to describe search traffic is interesting. But I think Reddit has its own problems. Relying solely on search referrals for revenue is just like Flash storage depending on the PC market back in the day...