WorkBuddy expense report aggregation finally works; the two-day blocker was parameter settings
Yesterday I posted about my expense report summary workflow failing all afternoon. A commenter suggested I try unifying the data source formats. I spent this morning reorganizing everything, and it actually worked. Come take a look; I can't say if my environment is an exception, but at least use this as a reference.
First, let's talk about where the problem was. My department has five people, and our expense reports are scattered across three different Excel files. Date formats vary between "2026-07-31" and "2026/07/31", and the amount column sometimes includes the currency symbol ¥, while other times it's just numbers. WorkBuddy's table merge function threw an error saying "inconsistent data format," and field mapping options were grayed out. Yesterday I tried dragging the files in directly, but the output was completely empty.
Workflow: From Scratch to Output
Open the WorkBuddy workspace, find "Automated Workflows" on the left sidebar, click it, and create a new one. I named mine "Monthly Expense Summary - 2026-08".
1. Add Data Sources: Drag the three Excel files from your local drive. Note that WorkBuddy supports multiple simultaneous data sources, but requires the first row of each file to be headers, and field names must match exactly. In my case, the "Expense Date" field had different names across the three files—some called it "Date," others "Reimbursement Time." You must unify them, otherwise mapping will fail.
2. Field Mapping Settings: Click the "Merge" node; the right side displays the field list for each data source. I manually mapped both "Date" and "Reimbursement Time" to the same target field "Expense Date." Don't be lazy here; clicking "Auto Match" often causes errors. For the target field's data type, I selected "Date (YYYY-MM-DD)" because WorkBuddy is sensitive to date formats, and standardizing them makes monthly grouping easier later.
3. Cleaning Node: Added a "Data Cleaning" step before the "Merge." Selected the amount column, checked "Remove Currency Symbols" and "Remove Spaces," and set the type to "Number (Keep Two Decimal Places)." This step is crucial. Previously, without the cleaning node, merging directly caused decimal places to be truncated.
4. Grouping & Aggregation: After merging, add a new "Group Statistics" node. Set the grouping basis to "Expense Date" by month, the aggregation field to "Amount," and the method to "Sum." WorkBuddy defaults to grouping by full date; you need to toggle the "Date Grouping" switch and select "By Month."
5. Output: Finally, connect an "Output to Table" node, select "New Excel Worksheet," and the filename generates automatically. Running the entire process takes about 20 seconds, much faster than manual copy-pasting.
Pitfall Avoidance Experience
| Step | Manual Time Cost | WorkBuddy Time Cost | Time Saved |
|---|---|---|---|
| Data Cleanup (remove symbols, unify formats) | ~20 mins | 5 mins (setting up cleaning node) | 15 mins |
| Merging 3 Files | ~15 mins (copy-paste + check duplicates) | 20 secs | 14 mins 40 secs |
| Monthly Aggregation | ~10 mins (manual pivot tables) | 10 secs | 9 mins 50 secs |
Here are some key pitfalls:
- Do not drag in Excel files with merged cells. WorkBuddy cannot parse them and will identify the entire row as empty. I later removed all merged cells in the original files, filled in the content, and then imported them successfully.
- Do not use Chinese folder names in data source paths. I put the expense reports in a folder named "August 2026 Reimbursements," and WorkBuddy errored out saying it couldn't find the path. Changing it to pinyin "baoxiao_2026_08" fixed it. Not sure if it's a Windows system encoding issue.
- Permission Settings: By default, workflows are only visible to the creator. When sharing with finance colleagues, click "Share" in the top right and set their role to "Viewer." They can only see the output results and cannot change flow parameters. If collaborating with multiple people, consider setting an "Editor" role, but keep it to no more than two people, as simultaneous editing easily causes conflicts.
Daily Operations
I run this workflow every Friday, but I don't rebuild it each time. WorkBuddy supports scheduled triggers. In "Scheduling," set it to auto-execute every Friday at 5 PM, and the output file automatically overwrites to the designated cloud drive. However, note that if the data source file paths change, the scheduled task will fail, so remember to update the data source paths whenever you move folders.
Trend Prediction
The bottleneck for AI office tools is no longer "can it do it," but "how to do it right." Tools like WorkBuddy have mature templating features, but once they encounter non-standard data, they test the user's logical capabilities. Over the next six months, I think these tools will introduce smarter "automatic format detection" and "fault tolerance suggestions." For example, when encountering inconsistent date formats, instead of throwing an error and letting users guess, it should pop up asking "Unify to YYYY-MM-DD?" Ultimately, the more powerful the tool, the higher the requirement for user data literacy. Those too lazy to learn the basics will eventually have to go back to doing things manually.
Physix Frontier