
Amazon invested $50B in OpenAI; I used AWS to tune models for three days—here are my real feelings
Bottom line: Amazon's $50 billion investment won't be felt by average developers in the short term, but long-term, AWS AI services will become increasingly dependent on OpenAI. My lab happens to be running a reinforcement learning project that requires calling large models for environment interaction, so I took this opportunity to run through OpenAI models on AWS Bedrock, getting an early taste of whether "Amazon-branded OpenAI" is actually good to use.
1. Preparation: Setting up an AWS Account from Scratch
Before starting, you need an AWS account. I registered with my personal email and linked a Visa card; this step took about 10 minutes. Note that AWS will charge $1 for verification first—don't panic, it's not a real deduction.
Go into the console, search for Bedrock, which is AWS's AI model platform. Once inside, you'll see a "Model Catalog" listing Claude, Llama, Mistral, and OpenAI's GPT-4o and GPT-4-turbo. I initially thought I'd need to apply for access, but found out Amazon has already integrated OpenAI models directly, no extra application form needed. This is better than Azure, where using smaller models often requires waiting for approval.
2. Getting Started: Making Your First API Call in 3 Steps
Step 1: Create a model endpoint. In the Bedrock left menu, select "Model access," click "Manage model access," check OpenAI's GPT-4o, and submit. AWS will prompt "This action may take up to 5 minutes," but in reality, it showed as available in less than 2 minutes.
Step 2: Get an API key. Generate one on the Bedrock "API keys" page. Note that the key generated here is an AWS IAM role, not OpenAI's own API key. So the calling method differs from the official OpenAI SDK; you have to use AWS's Boto3 library.
Step 3: Write code. I used Python. First install boto3, then write a simple call:
import boto3
client = boto3.client('bedrock-runtime', region_name='us-east-1')
response = client.invoke_model(
modelId='openai.gpt-4o',
body='{"prompt": "Hello, world!", "max_tokens": 50}'
)
print(response['body'].read().decode())
I ran it, got results in 5 seconds, no issues. But note, the region must be us-east-1; other regions don't support it yet.
3. Pitfalls: Two Big Traps That Almost Made Me Quit
First pitfall: Rate limits. I ran 20 concurrent requests and immediately got a ThrottlingException. AWS's free quota is 1,000 tokens per minute, but GPT-4o has stricter model limits—in practice, I could only send 10 requests per minute. My lab project needs hundreds of simultaneous calls, which is nowhere near enough. The solution is to request a quota increase via the AWS console, but you have to provide a reason. I waited 3 days to get approved for 500 requests/minute.
Second pitfall: Confusing costs. Amazon's pricing page clearly states: GPT-4o input is $2.5/1M tokens, output is $10/1M tokens. But note, AWS also charges an additional "model hosting fee", roughly 20% of the model invocation cost. I ran a test using 3 million tokens, and the bill came to $45, about $8 more expensive than using the OpenAI API directly. Honestly, I don't recommend small-scale users use AWS to call OpenAI; buying credits directly from OpenAI's website is more cost-effective. However, for large enterprises, AWS's consolidated billing and permission management are indeed convenient.
4. Pros and Cons List
Pros:
- Good integration; no need to apply for an OpenAI account—one AWS account handles all models.
- Enterprise-grade security; IAM permission control is more granular than OpenAI's API keys.
- Easy multi-model switching; changing from GPT-4o to Claude just requires modifying the modelId, with minimal code changes.
Cons:
- Costs are higher than official rates; too expensive for small teams.
- Low concurrency quotas; manual application required, process is cumbersome.
- Regional restrictions; only us-east-1 is available, latency is unfriendly for domestic users.
5. Conclusion: Who It's For, Who It's Not For
Suitable for: Enterprises already using AWS who want unified AI model permission management and don't mind paying a bit extra for convenience.
Not suitable for: Individual developers, students, small teams. Go directly to OpenAI's official site to open an API; it's easier and cheaper.
Trend prediction: With Amazon's $50 billion investment, the next step is likely launching "OpenAI dedicated instances," similar to AWS EC2 instances, providing dedicated hardware for large models. Prices might drop then, but don't expect it in the short term (within six months). My lab has decided to stick with the official OpenAI API for now and wait until AWS lowers prices.
Physix Frontier