WorkBuddy Saved Me Three Days of Stats; CAD AI Renders Are Less Useful Than Rebar Calculations
Honestly, when I saw that TurboCAD 2026's AI plugin could generate rendered images from text, my first reaction was: What does this have to do with me? I work in civil engineering, dealing with steel, formwork, and concrete every day. When drawings change, I have to recalculate quantities. Can AI help me with that? No matter how pretty the renderings are, site workers won't build according to them.
I've been using WorkBuddy for a few days now, and frankly, this thing is much faster than my crappy computer, and crucially, it actually solves those annoying problems on construction sites. Today I'll share a recent case study showing how WorkBuddy gets the job done in the gap between CAD and Excel.
1. Origin of the Issue: An Urgent Change Left Everyone Confused
Last Tuesday afternoon, the general contractor threw over a change notice: beam-column reinforcement adjustments in a basement area, involving 3 types of steel bars, with changed diameters and spacing. The original drawings were PDF scans; the CAD source files hadn't arrived yet—this is common on construction sites. I needed to submit the steel bar summary table to the materials department by Friday, otherwise next week would face work stoppages due to material shortages, and the boss would definitely yell.
How did we handle this before? Manually calculating against PDFs, or converting PDFs to DWG and importing into Excel for statistics. But PDF conversion quality is poor, annotations often misalign. I tried TurboCAD 2026's PDF import function, which claims to convert to editable CAD geometry, but in practice, complex drawings resulted in garbled fonts and distorted dimension lines; it was worse than measuring against the screen with a ruler. And its AI rendering is completely useless to me—my boss wants steel quantities, not effect diagrams.
2. Discovering WorkBuddy Could Handle This
I'd only recently started using WorkBuddy and hadn't tried using it for technical drawings before. That day, feeling optimistic, I threw the PDF drawings into WorkBuddy and told it: "Help me tally the steel bars in this area, categorized by diameter and spacing, and list a table."
The operation steps were as follows:
1. Open WorkBuddy, click Batch Import, drag the 3 PDF drawings in.
2. Write instructions in the dialog box: "Extract all beam-column steel bar annotations from the drawings, including diameter, spacing, and count, listed by component ID."
3. Wait about 10 seconds, and it spat out a table, but the first version had errors, swapping the steel bar counts for two beams.
I tested it and found it handles pure text tables well, but engineering drawing annotations often overlap or are obscured, making AI recognition prone to errors. So I added another instruction: "Extract all formats like 'Φ12@150' from the drawings, output as an Excel table, with each row corresponding to a component."
The second run produced basically correct data. I manually verified two suspicious beams and found WorkBuddy read "2Φ16" as "2Φ18" because the scanned PDF made 6 and 8 look similar. I manually corrected it, and the entire table was done. From start to finish, it took about 40 minutes. Previously, manual calculation plus verification took at least two days.
3. Comparison with TurboCAD's AI Plugin
I know TurboCAD 2026's Copilot plugin can do some things, but its Copilot Professional costs $899 for three years, over 6000 RMB, and it can only generate renderings, search parts, and query documentation. I can't use it to calculate steel quantities; its Text-to-CAD is still experimental, generating CAD objects from natural language—I absolutely don't need that on a construction site.
I made a comparison table; see for yourselves:
| Feature | WorkBuddy | TurboCAD Copilot |
|---|---|---|
| PDF Drawing Data Extraction | Yes, batch processing, supports table output | Only converts to CAD geometry, cannot auto-statistics |
| Natural Language Query | Ask directly, e.g., "Stirrup spacing for Beam L1" | Can also ask, but limited to imported CAD models |
| Cost | Subscription-based, my company bought the team version, under 500 RMB/person/year | $99–$899/year, excluding the CAD software itself |
| Report Generation | Directly outputs Excel, Word, with formulas | None, requires manual tinkering |
| Renderings | None | Has this, but I don't need it |
The conclusion is clear: For someone like me who does the actual work, WorkBuddy is far more practical than TurboCAD's AI plugin. TurboCAD's Copilot rendering features are better suited for architectural visualization firms or preliminary design stages. During our construction phase, AI helping us extract data from drawings is the real skill.
4. Breaking Down Pitfalls and Tips
Using WorkBuddy for engineering documents wasn't smooth sailing; I stepped into several pits:
Colleague Lao Li said: "Brother Kun, can your AI tool help me calculate concrete volume? I have an irregular foundation here with non-standard geometry."
I said let's try. Result: WorkBuddy couldn't directly calculate 3D volumes; it only handles text and data. But I came up with a workaround: Extract dimension annotations from the CAD drawing, manually build an Excel formula for it to calculate. Specific operations:
1. Use WorkBuddy's Table Extraction function to grab the length, width, and height annotations of the foundation from the drawing, outputting to CSV.
2. In Excel, use formulas to calculate Volume = Length Width Height. For irregular parts, I manually added an adjustment coefficient (based on experience from similar projects).
3. Feed the results back to WorkBuddy, letting it generate a report, automatically calculating total volume, and adding notes explaining the estimation range.
This defines WorkBuddy's positioning: It's not omnipotent, but it helps you finish the most annoying data organization work. The rest requires human judgment—you can't escape that—but it at least saves 80% of the time.
5. Summary: AI Tools Must Be Able to Do Your Dirty Work
TurboCAD 2026's AI rendering looks nice, but it's useless to me. WorkBuddy doesn't do flashy stuff; it just helps you read documents, convert tables, and write reports. What do we construction folks hate most? We hate mismatched data, not knowing about drawing changes, and reworking due to calculation errors. WorkBuddy at least lets me flip through drawings fewer times and work overtime less often.
I know this sounds rough, but the logic holds. If an AI tool can't solve your actual pain points, it's just embroidery pillows (useless decoration). WorkBuddy showed me something real—it doesn't replace you, but it makes you less tired.
Physix Frontier