Community Discussion · Policy

WorkBuddy Review: Replacing WebStorm and Feishu Docs Because They're No Longer Needed

Classmate ZhouClassmate ZhouJul 312026/07/31 59 views

Last month, our team was pulled into a group chat called "AI Tool Selection." I thought it was another "try it first, figure it out later" routine, but the boss dropped a direct command: Run both WorkBuddy and Coze within two weeks and produce a comparison.

Alright.

I come from a backend background, accustomed to using command lines and IDEs to tackle everything, and naturally allergic to terms like "AI Office Assistant." I always felt it was "the PPT writers finding a new toy." But with the boss issuing a death order, I had to grit my teeth and go.

The result? I spent three days getting WorkBuddy's local project space running, and another three days integrating Coze's API. In the end, I chose WorkBuddy as the main force, canceled my WebStorm subscription, and deleted all those "Weekly Plan" folders in Feishu Docs.

No bragging. Here's the clear explanation.

Why Choose WorkBuddy: Not Because It's Strong, But Because Coze Is Too "Heavy"

Let's talk about a point many overlook: The value of AI development tools lies not in how much code they can write, but in whether they can make you write less code while maintaining controllability.

I compared two solutions:

Dimension WorkBuddy Coze
Local File Mapping Directly maps to local folders; AI read/write happens locally Workspace is in the cloud; upload/download has latency
Code Dev Experience Supports multiple languages, Agent turns are smooth, permission config handled automatically Requires manual API key and permission setup, easy to get stuck
Template Workflows Built-in templates, one-click apply, predictable results No unified templates, need to write workflows yourself
Model Access Default Hy3, supports DeepSeek, GLM, Kimi, Minimax, etc. Only supports proprietary models or self-built proxies
Cost Get 100 credits daily, Hy3 free until Aug 5 Charged by API call volume, long chats easily exceed budget

My testing shows WorkBuddy's "Local Project Space" is the most valuable aspect for me.

Previously with Coze or other cloud tools, writing a Demo required uploading first, running scripts required downloading. Back and forth, time was wasted on IO. WorkBuddy works directly in local folders; the AI's "eating, drinking, and excreting" all happen locally, making it more than twice as fast.

Coze's Agent capabilities aren't weak, but its design philosophy is "keep users away from code as much as possible." For a backend developer like me, this is actually a limitation. I need a tool that allows direct code editing, parameter tuning, and log viewing, not a "black box."

WorkBuddy's Agent conversation turns are well-executed. I asked it to scrape data from an internal interface. It configured permissions, wrote the crawler, and handled anti-scraping measures on its own. When it hit a 403 error, it automatically tried changing User-Agent and Cookies, finally giving me a log file. The whole process took about 5 minutes, and I only input "retry" once.

Why I Didn't Uninstall It: WorkBuddy's Programming Ability Deserves More Discussion Than Its Office Features

Many people focus on WorkBuddy's office features like PPT generation, document processing, and auto-reply emails. Honestly, these features mean little to frontline developers.

What truly convinced me to stick with WorkBuddy was its code development capability.

I tried using it to write a simple REST API service. The requirement: Pull user data from the database, cache it, and expose a GET endpoint. WorkBuddy's Agent completed everything from writing code, configuring dependencies, opening ports, to testing the interface, fully automated. I only corrected it once regarding the wrong database connection pool configuration.

In contrast, Coze's Agent frequently gets stuck on "permission configuration" and "API key setup" for similar tasks. Every time, I had to manually configure the console and then return to continue. The time saved was all lost back.

Of course, WorkBuddy isn't without complaints.

  • Its code completion isn't as smart as WebStorm, especially for TypeScript generic inference, which often goes off track.
  • It handles incremental modifications in large projects poorly. I gave it a 5000-line codebase and asked it to add a feature; it often modified the wrong files or didn't run tests after finishing.
  • Its Agent tends to forget context after long conversations (over 20 turns), requiring manual reminders.

But I can accept this. Because its "Local Project Space" design allows me to check logs, modify code, and roll back anytime. If it loses control, I just delete the project folder and rebuild it.

For backend developers, WorkBuddy's value isn't "replacing the IDE," but "reducing repetitive labor." Especially for writing demos, scraping data, configuring environments, and writing tests, it's much faster than humans.

Who Is It Suitable For, and Who Is It Not?

To be blunt, WorkBuddy isn't a panacea.

Suitable for:

  • Backend Developers: Writing small projects, scraping data, configuring environments, writing tests—saves time.
  • Data Engineers: Processing CSVs, writing SQL, doing simple analysis—faster than manual.
  • PMs & Ops: Writing weekly reports, making PPTs, organizing emails—built-in templates are sufficient.
  • Tinkerers: Can integrate third-party models and build custom workflows.

Not suitable for:

  • Frontend Developers: Its code completion and live preview aren't as good as VSCode + plugins.
  • Large Project Maintenance: Codebases over 5000 lines confuse it.
  • Perfectionists regarding AI output: It occasionally gives "lazy" code that needs human checking.
  • People who hate localization: Its workspace is local; if you prefer cloud collaboration, you'll find it troublesome.

My current usage: Use WorkBuddy for Demos, data scraping, and PPTs. Serious project code still uses the IDE. But honestly, Demos take up the bulk of daily dev work, so WorkBuddy's utilization rate is actually higher than the IDE.


Done writing. Didn't write any code, but the council is rushing me, so submitting this first.

0 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
No replies yet — be the first to share your thoughts