Saw a translator review and tried WorkBuddy; the results were surprising
Community Discussion · Policy

Saw a translator review and tried WorkBuddy; the results were surprising

Old ChenOld ChenJul 302026/07/30 57 views

Last week, someone shared a 2026 comparative review of translation devices on Moments, covering MOSSTALK, iFlytek, Baidu, etc., testing offline BLEU scores, latency, and noise environments. I glanced at it and remembered I had a pile of work piling up—quotes from clients in Vietnam, India, and Poland, in PDF format, mixed with tables and clauses. Translation devices alone simply can't handle this. Honestly, having done foreign trade for ten years, I know this scenario too well.

Translation devices mainly solve "face-to-face conversation" scenarios. But in my daily work, 80% of translation needs aren't conversations; they're documents. Contract clauses, product spec sheets, email exchanges—it's all text. Last week, I ran a test with WorkBuddy, throwing the same source file at both a translation device and WorkBuddy to compare. The results were interesting.

First, my requirement: A PDF contract from a Polish client, 14 pages, containing a price list involving exchange rate conversions and quantity discount clauses. I needed to translate the entire contract into Chinese, convert the Euro figures in the table to RMB based on the day's rate, and preserve the original formatting for easy reconciliation with finance.

I tried two approaches:

Option A: Translation Device + Manual Post-Processing

I happened to have a borrowed MOSSTALK MT-2026 Pro. Its offline translation BLEU score is indeed high (72.3), but the problem is—translation devices don't support document uploads. I had to read sentence by sentence to the screen, let the machine spit out Chinese, and jot it down in my phone notes. Reading 14 pages took nearly 40 minutes, and I misread two lines along the way (got numbers mixed up in the table). The end result was plain text, no table formatting, no exchange rate conversion, and I had to reformat everything myself. Total time for translation + organization: an hour and a half.

Option B: WorkBuddy End-to-End

Opened WorkBuddy, dragged in the PDF, selected "Document Translation + Table Processing" mode. It automatically identified the table area and asked if I wanted to apply preset exchange rates. I chose EUR/CNY at 7.8 and hit start. The whole process took about 3 minutes, outputting a Word document with original formatting preserved. The numbers in the table were already converted, and the clause translations read pretty well.

[!example] Comparison Table

| Dimension | Translation Device (MOSSTALK) | WorkBuddy |

|-----------|-------------------------------|-----------|

| Document Input | Not supported, voice only | Direct drag-and-drop PDF/Word |

| Time Consumption | 40 mins reading + 50 mins organizing | 3 mins automation |

| Format Preservation | None | Full preservation of tables/lists |

| Exchange Rate Conversion | Manual calculation | Automatic via preset rules |

| Cost | Hardware ~2000+ | Subscription-based, tens/month |

Of course, translation devices have their advantages—offline, real-time voice, portable. But for an office-bound foreign trade worker like me handling dozens of documents daily, WorkBuddy's practicality crushes it. I even tried translating the Chinese BLEU score section from that review article into English, then back-translating it myself. WorkBuddy handled long-sentence logical coherence well, especially in technical descriptions, avoiding the awkwardness of needing to press a record button like the Baidu King X9.

The specific steps are actually just three:

1. Import Source File: Supports PDF, Word, Excel, Images (OCR). I tried scanned docs; recognition rate is decent. Handwriting is worse, but printed text is basically fine.

2. Select Processing Mode: WorkBuddy has a "Smart Understanding" option that auto-detects document type. For contracts, it marks clause hierarchies; for tables, it identifies row/column structures and asks for number processing rules. Here's a tip—if the document has multiple languages, select "Mixed Language Translation" once. I processed a trilingual (Chinese-English-German) price list before, and it didn't mess up.

3. Export Results: Choose Word, Excel, PDF, or directly generate an email draft. I usually choose Word since my boss needs to review it.

One detail worth mentioning: WorkBuddy's translation results aren't a pure black box. It displays original and translated text side-by-side, with a small button next to each paragraph showing "confidence." Paragraphs below 80% confidence are highlighted yellow, reminding you to manually review. That Polish contract last week had 3 highlights, all professional terms (e.g., „Frachtkosten” was translated as "freight cost," but the contract meant "freight prepaid," so I fixed it). This design is far more reliable than translation devices that just "spit it out and done."

Let's talk cost. The cheapest translation device is over a thousand, expensive ones five or six thousand, and hardware becomes obsolete in two years (like the screen ghosting issue mentioned in the review for iFlytek—I've seen it firsthand, very annoying). I bought an annual subscription for WorkBuddy, averaging less than 100 RMB/month, usable on PC and mobile, and invoices can go through company reimbursement. More importantly, it doesn't just do translation. I use it for meeting minute summaries, turning Excel data into PPT reports, and even extracting key info from client emails into tables. Translation is just one module.

Last Friday, I threw the link to that review article into WorkBuddy and asked it to summarize the pros and cons of each device. In 30 seconds, it listed a table, catching details like MOSSTALK's offline language packs requiring separate downloads. I pasted that table straight into the work group chat, saving myself the time of reading the full article.

Anyway, I think the translation device category might eventually be replaced by stronger AI tools. But for now, if you aren't meeting foreigners face-to-face daily but, like me, deal with documents, emails, and spreadsheets every day, a "document-centric" tool like WorkBuddy is far more practical than a translation device.

Original Link: https://www.sohu.com/a/1056112300_121081803

0 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
No replies yet — be the first to share your thoughts